What do you wear downstairs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, ok, I know this is rather personal but I need help.

I'm really new to cycling but so far it's been going great. I got my new road bike on Friday and have since road around 15 miles per day. I've really enjoyed my time in the bike and have even become quite brave on some of the fast downhillers.

The only problem so far is my derrière. Ouch!! I've not had a good look but it is really sore. I suspect it's bruised, slightly chapped and maybe even blistered....... Yes I should probably look :sad:

I'm not the lightest man at 14st and I suspect this is half the issue. However, I'm wondering if my choice of under crackers is making things worse. I wear briefs under my padded cycle shorts and after a ride they are all ruffled up around my nether regions. Could this be a factor?

I'm hoping you more experienced cyclists can help me out with your own experiences/tips. I certainly need a day off tomorrow to give me chance to recover so I'll have plenty of time to read your responses.

Thanks

legsRsore
(and so's my bum)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wear briefs under my padded cycle shorts and after a ride they are all ruffled up around my nether regions. Could this be a factor?

yes, they are designed to be worn commando.
Give it a try.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Do an Arnold:

commando_wallpaper_by_spitfire666xxxxx-d31h3dc.jpg

How comfortable does he look going commando?

I get this problem alot, but more epecially with boxer shorts, as it 90% of the fabric ends up riding right up and squeezed into a sweaty, sore rag pressed against my delicates.

Lee_M

Guru
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I wear seamless cycling pants underneath my padded shorts.

They keep your tackle in order, don't ride up and are very comfortable.

Got mine from decathlon.

I know you're supposed to go commando, but I must admit that I don't wash my shorts after every trip out and don't fancy putting damp shorts back on. The pants help alleviate that

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It's never an easy subject to bring up but it really makes a difference. Whatever combination you go for be aware that the combination of rubbing, hot, moist, sweaty conditions and bacteria can create some real nasties. Though some get away with it no problem I'd say it's better to err on the side of caution. So fresh and clean every ride for whatever you have next to your skin down there. For longer rides, or until you toughen up a bit, some cream helps as well.

Making sure your saddle is set up properly for you, and suits you, will also reduce any chafing. But this can take a bit of time so best to anticipate the odd problem and combat that with extra cleanliness.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lose the underwear and swap it for a dollop of chamois cream.

Expensive stuff isn't needed - I made my own for under £10 per litre.

I wear briefs under my padded cycle shorts and after a ride they are all ruffled up around my nether regions. Could this be a factor?

First thing you need to do is stop wearing pants under your cycle shorts. These are designed to be worn next to the skin, so if you want to get this right in the long term, then you might as well start with the simple stuff like this. Never mind turning them inside out, or buying other pants with different seams - just stop wearing them. No point in trying to identify any other issue you may have until you do this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
100% in agreement. Padded shorts are designed for this and bib shorts hold the padding in place effectively. Wash every other ride or every third. Take care to shower and wash the undercarriage and dry thoroughly after every ride so as to avoid skin infections and spots or boils.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
100% in agreement. Padded shorts are designed for this and bib shorts hold the padding in place effectively. Wash every other ride or every third. Take care to shower and wash the undercarriage and dry thoroughly after every ride so as to avoid skin infections and spots or boils.

I strongly disagree and would say wash every ride, especially if you sweat a lot. If you're commuting then take a second set for the return leg.

Top Bottom