What do you wear in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went out at dusk wearing the following. OK, I looked like Mrs Bibendum, but at least I was warm... :laugh:

Roubaix tights under fleece joggers, short sleeve footy training top, long-sleeved skiing base layer, buff, winter jacket, windproof gilet, roubaix beanie under the helmet, winter gloves. Plus two pairs of socks (thin cotton, then those feet heater jobbies on top) and my Shimano MT34 shoes.

Update: this decathlon winter jacket I bought is excellent. The jacket on top of the HH base layer is all I need for cycling in winter. Went for a ride yesterday morning at 0 degrees and was cosy for all the ride. I upgraded to cycling specific gloves.

Still cold feet though: I tried the ziploc bags trick as seen on GCN youtube channel but didn't work (I have flat pedals and ride in sneakers so no overshoes for me)

:okay: re the winter jacket. I love mine.

Medium-weight suede (not fabric) walking shoes should do the trick for you. Plus two pairs of socks, thin ones underneath, then a thicker wool or thermal pair over those. Make sure your shoes don't pinch though, as that'll lead to cold feet as well.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I appear to either have a sixth sense or just blind luck that I am able to match my clothing to the conditions intuitively and usually get it spot on. Either that or I have a very broad latitude for running temperature.

Anyway, a couple of examples from me:

MTB - end of last year went out in -5°C for a couple of hours. No issues regarding traction but for clothing it went something like:
  • Head: thin skull cap (Planet-X jobbie), helmet
  • Top: buff, compression layer, microfleece layer, jersey, shell jacket (all long-sleeved)
  • Hands: cheap Aldi motorcycle winter gloves
  • Lower: fleece-lined B-Twin bib tights (so a bit of top coverage too), Endura Singletrack trousers
  • Feet: Aldi copycat Sealskinz socks, Shimano M065 shoes, Planet-X overshoes
Snug as a ruggy bug I was, despite my Camelbak freezing. In fact I was quite surprised when I checked the temperature on my Bolt that it was so cold.

Last weekend I was on the road/gravel starting around 3°C with frost still lingering in shady places. Again no traction issues and clothing was:
  • Helmet, buff
  • Compression layer, jersey, fleece-lined shell jacket
  • Rockbros neoprene gloves (Xmas pressie, very impressed so far)
  • compression leggings, same bib-tights as above
  • merino socks, same shoes
I spend the majority of my time at a 'tempo' heart rate, with more strenuous effort on climbs where I do get warm and then occasional chilling on longer descents.

Both rides above were nominally dry, but there was some standing water - wet feet soon get cold so I try to avoid that. I have a couple of waterproof outer layers but almost never wear them. Only in a proper downpour will they come out; my shells are pretty good at shaking off or absorbing lighter rain and drizzle.

For warmth the buff is great bang-for-buck and very versatile should you need a helmet liner or lower face cover. Overshoes are also worth a punt (the overshoes, skull cap and merino socks came as part of a Planet-X bundle a couple of years ago and I've had my money's-worth out of them).

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Thick soft buff, £3 Skull cap from tinternet, Ronhill tracksters, Waterproof trousers, thick sports socks or DHB thermal socks if sub zero, 1 or 2 unbranded zipped hoodies depending on how cold, DHB breathable waterproof if raining, thermal gloves or cheap fake leather driving gloves if raining.

It certainly is a good time of the year for the chubbers. Roll on summer.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If I look out and it's remotely icy or frosty, (I.e. temperatures of about a degree or two, or much below) I'll be in a base layer, long sleeve Jersey, and Decathlon winter jacket. On the bottom half I have Decathlon roubaix tights and some Belgian booties from Wiggle over my summer shoes.
I'll wear Decathlon Btwin winter gloves and a skull cap under my helmet, and a buff around my neck.

I'm a complete wuss and I don't care. And I know I sound like a walking advert for Decathlon but I bought that kit because I go out in those temperatures about 5 times a year, so I'm never going to invest much in my winter gear.

Top Bottom