what Documentaries did you watch last night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Earth Story is deffo a great series. :thumbsup:
I love anything about geology... can't get enough of 'em.
I watched a program on Sky Arts about Mark Knopfler and 6 of his guitars that made an impact throughout his career.

Highly recommended.
Was that called Guitar Story? If so, it is excellent... and I'm not really a fan of knopfler.
I was hoping it'd be a series, with a different muso each week, but seems to be a one off.

t'other night i watched Stonehenge: A Timewatch Guide. I've been collecting old and new stonehenge documentaries in recent years and what's interesting is how opinions of its builders and purpose have changed over the decades. Alice Roberts summed it all up quite well in this doco.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I will be watching the Guns and Roses documentary tonight on BBC4.

Not really a documentary, but I watched 'SuperTruckers' last night, when I was having supper, after getting home from work @ 22:30
Heck!, trying to get that boat down the village streets!

http://www.questtv.co.uk/supertruckers/
http://www.kingshaulage.co.uk/

Was that called Guitar Story? If so, it is excellent... and I'm not really a fan of knopfler.
I was hoping it'd be a series, with a different muso each week, but seems to be a one off.
Originally, it was a series, when first broadcast

I'm not that big a fan either, I saw it first time round, & it was nice to see him confirm the story behind the 'Money For Nothing', about the electrical store workers, mocking the musicians on MTV
That said, seeing how he constructed the guitar sound behind 'Money', & 'Sultans' was nice
Plus, the jam session at Robin Hoods Bay

Starts explaining at about 50 seconds

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Australia: A Time Travellers Guide

I can't get enough of geology docs, but so many are very Euro-centric and one tends to get the same old same old. A few years ago i found a series of Canadian geology docs which focussed on the geological history of North America rather than Europe... it was refreshing to learn about the formation of the great lakes, the Appalachians, Canadian shield, the ice sheets in America and the like, which got me hankering for more 'foreign' geo-docs. This latest addition is centred on Australia, as its title suggests. A New Zealand one would be nice.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Finished "A Syrian Love Story" - the second part is much more about how the family we followed in the first copes with their exile from Syria - feeling less and less a part of the struggle for the future of their country as time passes. There's sizeable amounts of survivors' guilt felt by all of them, and they all cope with it in different ways.

Well worth catching, if you get the chance.

I also watched "Lost Souls", a documentary available currently on Netflix, about the making of the 1996 "Island of Doctor Moreau". A very interesting film in its own right, and, I suspect (although it's been a while) far more worthy of your time than the work whose tortuous production it tells of.

Lullabelle

Banana
Meatloaf on BBC4

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Timewatch: The Empire State Story

An archived documentary from January 2001 chronicling the building of that most marvellous of skyscrapers, with a section on the B25 collision in 1945. Fascinating, although the footage of men walking along steel girders hundreds of feet in the air with no harnesses was a bit scary...

U

User6179

Let the Fire Burn http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119463/
A history of the conflict of the City of Philadelphia and the Black Liberation organization, MOVE, that led to the disastrously violent final confrontation in 1985.

After householders complained about their neighbours, The Move Organisations , Philadelphia Police try to evict them, what follows is just unbelievable!
move_265R7850.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Storyville....Himmler........an interesting look at the life of Heinrich Himmler...well worth a watch....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05t2h9x/storyville-20152016-1-himmler-the-decent-one
Thanks for the recommendation - that was really interesting.

Along with that, I watched "Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD".

The problem I have with documentaries is that, often, I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying them as films in their own right, or finding the subject matter fascinating, and not thinking of the appeal they might have to someone without an interest in that area. (I was an avid reader of the title until the mid 90's or so).

With that in mind, I can wholeheartedly recommend Future Shock to anyone with an interest in British comics, or 2000AD in particular. As to whether it works as a film, other people would have to decide - I do think that the personalities involved are really interesting; Pat Mills in particular is fiercely passionate about the title, and what it means for this peculiarly British iteration of a global art form. The story of its struggle with owners who didn't understand it, or value the talent of the creative people involved should also have a universal appeal.

Anyway, while I'd not recommend it as wholeheartedly as something like "Senna" (a film I love, despite a complete lack of interest in motorsport or Formula One) I do think that it works well enough as a film to be interesting to people without a huge investment in comics.

AndyRM

XOXO
Naked States, which is about Spencer Tunick and his quest to photograph naked folk in each state of the U.S.

It's a neat concept, but he comes across as a total dick. This is probably because he has a very singular and exacting vision, but there are two scenes which stick out as him not being a particularly easy guy to get along with.

His cause is a noble one, but I think he goes about championing in totally the wrong way.

Top Bottom