What does your desk tell us about you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The choice of furniture suggests a traditional attitude, perhaps a fan of traditional furniture...maybe a maker of furniture.
I am, or was until I became ill, but the desk was inherited.

are you a cabinet maker?
I am, or was until I became ill.

oh ok I looked at your profile too.
Cheat!:giggle:

-you keep very important but small documents on the ceiling, judging by the position of the lamp.
Nope, I just prefer reflected light. It is uplighting the underside of the loft bed I am using until my bedroom is no longer a building site.

-you collect remote controls (dont we all!)
Yes, but what are they for?

GrasB

Veteran
Sorry I meant to come back to this shot, but got sidetracked.

So, Hmmm...I know your field of work, so what else can I see.

-you have a lot of keys, eat protein bars...that and the cup thing (clean/dirty) tell me you have some form of military training or background. Perhaps the Scout movement/TA/ex forces? - correct on all 3 counts; I have 3 sets of keys which are almost but not quite identical, I eat a protean bar after each long or training ride I do, though I think those are gels not protean bars, & I was in the ACF.
-you listen to music at home and like to play it loud when there is no-one else in the house, otherwise you rely on the cans. - close, when it's hot, so my windows are open & also I use them when my wife has friends round I use the headphones. It's a courtesy to others, why should they put up with music they don't choose to listen to & don't necessarily like?
-you have an interest in digital art. Although I dont see any peripherals to suggest you are a digital artist (tablet type thing). - correct, I do a lot of 3D modelling & also fractal art. I prefer my photography to be 'right' out of the camera, just needing me to sort out the light curves, white point & cropping so not really much use for a tablet. I do have one though, I just plug it in when needed.
-you like to drink alcohol at your desk (at home)...I suspect beer, judging by the coaster - almost, I like my coke in the old school glass bottles. Plus that bottle opener has a really nice knife on it
-you suffer from hay fever. - nope, the tissues are for when I get in from a ride & its been a bit chilly out.

hows that so far?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
haha.

the key and mug thing is down to personal experience. almost everyone I've ever known who carries a lot of keys has been involved in either the scout movement or had formal military training...it must be something to do with preparation or planning for the worst. However it was the mug thing that really reinforced this for me, not just because it such a simple, no-nonsence way to ensure your mug is clean but also suggests it is important to you that your mug *is* clean (i just refill mine through the day) this suggests that you have experienced places where you wouldn't want to drink from a dirty mug.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It tells me there still isn't much space for me!:giggle:

Here's mine, a proper desk, not a workstation or dining table!
View attachment 8148
ok more seriously now...
-right handed
-I assumed all three remotes were for the tv (digital provider,tv and aux device like dvd player) but now I'm intrigued...
-you design your furniture by sketch (pencil drawings) not auto cad (pencil stack..A4 printer, sketches on the right)
-you suffer from frequent headaches or chronic pain (perhaps illness related, please don't feel you need to elaborate?)
-despite the layout and "clutter" you are precise, the scientific calculator and tape measure reinforce this.
-what's that perched atop the printer...is it a carbondioxide detector or a timer of some sort...its important to you as it holds prominence over almost everything else on your desk??
-you occasionally listen to music whilst you work...but not as a rule.(perhaps viewing youtube and the like)
-you have toast and marmalade for breakfast most mornings.
-you have always wanted a Vietnamese pot-belly pig as a pet.
-No evidence to suggest you cycle...(other than the CC site) are you off the bike for a bit whilst you recover? (sorry if I've missed your posts on this subject)
-you are neither a blackberry nor Iphone user...(nokia?)
-you collect fluffy toys...perhaps traditional/classic teddy bears
-you spend some nights on the sofa as opposed the bed
-you suffer from pet allergies.

GrasB

Veteran
haha.

the key and mug thing is down to personal experience. almost everyone I've ever known who carries a lot of keys has been involved in either the scout movement or had formal military training...it must be something to do with preparation or planning for the worst. However it was the mug thing that really reinforced this for me, not just because it such a simple, no-nonsence way to ensure your mug is clean but also suggests it is important to you that your mug *is* clean (i just refill mine through the day) this suggests that you have experienced places where you wouldn't want to drink from a dirty mug.
The keys are an organisational thing, I have 3 basic classes of use for keys - work, riding/walking & driving they share the same core of keys to get me in/out of the house, etc. but beyond that they have different things going for them.

I'll happily reuse a glass/mug all day as long as I know its 'history' since the last wash but after it's been out of my sight for about 30 min it has to be clean before I use it again, that means it's still upside down or I was it there & then. During DoE expeditions & ACF training I was in some places you don't want to be getting things contaminated.

I'd be interested to know what else you can pick up because I think there's a lot more there if you look at what's going on besides/behind the monitors.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
there's a lot more there if you look at what's going on besides/behind the monitors.

Switching to "extreme vision" mode... tricky to make out a lot of stuff (my office is very bright so I'm better to do this in the dark)...but, what else can i see....hmm.

well, a lot of stuff that i cant put a link to, like;
-Security lanyard
-Scissors
-what looks like a dyno machine (labeller)
-Steel rule
-Cant make out the black and white boxes behind the monitors
-Blue light thing, I assumed was your speaker controller so ignored it...perhaps that was a mistake.
-is that a pair of bolt cutters (or one of those grip exercisors)
-big box on the left (another blue light) not sure what that is, it looks like an amp?...er, so whats the other blue light thing I wonder...its sat atop a black tray along with the lanyard, the bolt cutters and a cd...so it must be related to all of these...looking at this in conjunction with your avatar...do you do time trials or track days?
-Silver device under the digi-cam...again looks like an aux device maybe a dvd player...its not a police scanner is it?
-Black tube to the right of the apple monitor...no idea what that is...perhaps the top of a drawing tube/holder (to carry your artwork)

stuff that makes perfect sense.
-Inner tube
-Hub
-Patch glue
-Glasses

unfortunatley none of that "tells" me anything new... unless its the racing thing

I'm stumped?

if you can identify some of the items above that I cant make out I'll have another go.

GrasB

Veteran
eek, sorry it looks like tinypic has re-compressed the jpeg with a much higher compression ratio (the original was about 450kb!), knowing exactly what the original was I hadn't checked the uploaded copy.
dyno machine is probably a reel of fishing line & black cotton & There are 2 thin strips of stick-on velcro in front of those.
The bolt croppers is a network cable cropping tool.
the security lanyard is attached to a USB pen drive.
the blue light next to it is a USB hub.
The black & white 'boxes' are rolls of velcro
in front of that there's the bottle opener with a small selection of miniature chopsticks
the blue thing in front of iMac is a spoke tension meter (note the red spoke key)
under the iMac are two boxes of batteries & the volume control for the speakers
Obviously an unused hub in front of that
to the left of the bike tools/spares there's a small parts tray with some tweezers on top
the silver unit is a down mixer & audio compressor unit
on top of that are 2 remote power switches for my multi-way sockets
on the far left there's a headphone amp

Night Train

Maker of Things
ok more seriously now...
-right handed
Yes.

-I assumed all three remotes were for the tv (digital provider,tv and aux device like dvd player) but now I'm intrigued...
Yes, TV, Freeview recorder, stereo.

-you design your furniture by sketch (pencil drawings) not auto cad (pencil stack..A4 printer, sketches on the right)
Yes, I prefer to sketch and design by hand, though I have used AutoCad but no longer have a copy.

-you suffer from frequent headaches or chronic pain (perhaps illness related, please don't feel you need to elaborate?)
Clues to that effect?

-despite the layout and "clutter" you are precise, the scientific calculator and tape measure reinforce this.
Yes but the calculator isn't in view. I also have a digital vernier caliper in the drawer.

-what's that perched atop the printer...is it a carbondioxide detector or a timer of some sort...its important to you as it holds prominence over almost everything else on your desk??
CO detector, doesn't hold prominence just not figured the best place to put it as, for now, I live, work and sleep in my kitchen where the CH boiler is.

-you occasionally listen to music whilst you work...but not as a rule.(perhaps viewing youtube and the like)
I listen to music but only on the stereo if I am at my desk. More often I am catching up on recorded TV to save time.

-you have toast and marmalade for breakfast most mornings.
Only when Arch is about, and I have marmalade in.

-you have always wanted a Vietnamese pot-belly pig as a pet.
No, never. I do like pigs though.

-No evidence to suggest you cycle...(other than the CC site) are you off the bike for a bit whilst you recover? (sorry if I've missed your posts on this subject)
None of my bikes live near my desk, however there is another clue relating to cycling that is there but only the specifically knowledgeable would spot it.

-you are neither a blackberry nor Iphone user...(nokia?)
True, I have a Sony Ericsson W995 and Xperia Arc having moved on from Nokia

-you collect fluffy toys...perhaps traditional/classic teddy bears
I am often given them, most are Unicorns.

Clues to that effect?

Clues to that effect?
You're good at this!:unsure:

Arch

Married to Night Train
"Only when Arch is about, and I have marmalade in."

If this was YACF, that phrase would provoke a storm of filthy fruit preserve innuendo...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Clues to that effect?
Blister pack of pain killers within easy reach.

Clues to that effect?
Blankets and sheets folded neatly on the sofa (big pillow on the right of the sofa in the foreground, blue in colour).

Clues to that effect?
Tile floor, no carpets.

None of my bikes live near my desk, however there is another clue relating to cycling that is there but only the specifically knowledgeable would spot it.
something to do with either the emblem on the coaster, the posters on the wall or the rectangular black object with grey ends that looks like a light on the right hand side in front of the pens in the marmalade jar.

Top Bottom