What does your other half think of your bike/s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Telemark said:
There's your reason :biggrin: :smile:

.. and here's the solution: increase the speed of both the cycling :biggrin:& the dusting :angel:, he won't even know you've been out cycling

easy ;)

T

I have my dusting, bathroom cleaning, gardening, car washing, washing, ironing, cooking, food shopping down to a fine art now ;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's best not to do those things too often as you only have to do them again. I've just found out that I'm supposed to clean the outside of my windows more than once every two and a half years (I moved into my flat two and a half years ago) and I always thought it was best to wait until the autumn so as not to kill the spiders on the windows due to their fly eating activites but then in autumn I kept forgetting.

levad

Veteran
Lazy-Commuter said:
Mrs-LC enjoys the family runs out we do, as do the Little-LCs. She also has a dawdle out with "the girls" (other mums) while the kids are at school, usually involving lots of tea and cake. :smile:

My personal riding time is all to or from work, so there's no problem there. All in all, it's all good.

The LC family do all roll their eyes and say "daddy's got another bike gadget" when I buy myself a new toy, but the saving in fuel in the car means it's not an issue. Especially now we're selling a car ..

Very similar to Mrs and the boy levad, they both cycle everywhere but see cycling as a utility thing rather than for pleasure (although they do both enjoy cycling). I think they appreciate the fettling I do one their bikes. We have 8 bikes between us. The need for n+1 has now become clear, a group from work are doing Oxford - Cambridge on Sunday and a van will bring all bikes back to work for collection on Monday. I need to get to work on Monday morning so will just use one of my other bikes. I am away for the rest of the week so will take both bikes home in a pool car. :biggrin:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if everyone would agree, but I reckon your other half's acceptance of your cycling depends on whether you were already a cyclist when you met them or not. I suspect, if it's something you suddenly take up and get heavily into, they may be less forgiving than if you'd been at it (cycling!) for years and then met them.

When I met Mrs G in 2001, my main means of getting about was already bicycle, so she sort of accepted it from the start. Rather huffily. As it happens, we've now ended up working in the same buiding (albeit for diff. organisations) in Cambridge. She drives in, I cycle. I couldn't imagine doing the journey by car every day, it would do my head in.

She's pretty good about the bike generally, but gets annoyed if I leave it say - blocking the cat flap or on her flowers in the garden. One freezing evening, she came home early and I'd brought the bike in to the kitchen for a few minor repairs. Blimey, I've never heard the end of it- I reckon if she'd caught me up to the other with Anna Friel I'd have had less bother!

Try it and see, Glow Worm .. :biggrin:

I see your point, but I suspect it also depends on how you get into cycling.

In our case, it was together: the kids had reached the point where they could ride their bikes at a speed which meant we had to run to keep up if we took them out. So we bought ourselves bikes in order to do family runs and, having got one, I figured I might as well get some use out of it.

Hence the commuting.

And domestic bliss: Mrs-LC likes the leaner me and I think she also enjoys the incredulous looks she gets when she tells people that I cycle the "whole!! :ohmy:" 7 miles to work. (Have to confess, so do I - though now I'm more into it I'm also a bit :ohmy: about how people react to such a modest distance).

HelenD123

Guru
My other half is even more nuts about bikes than me:biggrin:.

nuovo_record

she dosn't mind me out on a bike every now and again, but she likes to draw the line at 1 bike. shame that i have a MTB for bumming around and currently rebuilding another holdsworth!

Velorum

Upon being discovered by Mrs V I had been into bikes for some years so shes never really known me without them.

She doesnt really cycle much but has been known to use the Brompton on occassion which she seems to enjoy.

Also - she likes me cycling as she worries about my weight and general fitness - she even asked for an update in how the Galaxy refurbishment was going the other day and commented on how nice the new Brooks B17 looked when it arrived.

Nice.

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Good point someone made ( not going to scroll back to check who ) about did you meet your other half already having been a cyclist?

I did not, my cycling started in June I think. So this craze of mine is all new to him:ohmy:

Probably why he hates it.

I have learned not to talk bikes to him now :evil:

Top Bottom