What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Company of Heroes.

Towards the end of WWII a party of American soldiers stumble upon a Nazi nuclear bomb test site and decide to put a stop to it.

Vinnie Jones makes a lovely attempt at a Dick Van Dyke style cockernee accent.

As long as you don't expect historical accuracy it's a decent enough action film, 5/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
Michael Caine's been on our screen too, in The Quiet American.

8/10

An all too often overlooked war film I reckon. It's thoughtful and reflective rather than tense and in your face, though it does wind up to a pretty devastating finale (the original one from the book, not the altered version in the inferior film from the 50s). Both Caine and Fraser are absolutely superb, Fraser in particular remaining me that he can actually act and not just run about yelling like a second rate Indiana Jones.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The Maid'\s Room. Promising start which maintains interest until about half way through...but then falls apart with dream scenes and improbable activity until it runs out of steam and ends with a disappointing whimper.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Love and Mercy. Brilliant on every level. Superb biopic this and how Paul Dano wasn't nominated for an Oscar for his part in this film mystifies me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
V/H/S/2 (PVR'ed)
Anthology horror, consisting of four found footage short tales.

The problem, of course, is that the shorts are, in general, too short for much characterisation or identification with the protagonists - so the films boil down to a series of gory vignettes with much wet, gurgling death.

The weak point is, I think "A Ride in the Park", a fairly standard zombie outbreak tale, for all its over the top gore.

The best concept is "Clinical Trials", and the best realisation probably "Safe Haven" or "Slumber Party Alien Abduction" (the last two shorts). There's a sort of breathless energy to all the stories, and they do carry you along with them - I don't think that the ideas, or characters linger in the way that they do in the very best horror though, and there are no tales of redemption to be found here. A gory, guilty pleasure, in the sense that it feels quite sordid to have been swept along with it when it ends.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've just seen the trailer for Independence Day Resurgence; I was thinking it looked exactly the same as the first only bigger, and that was almost exactly the next line out of Jeff Goldblum's mouth. Pretty tragic really.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've just seen the trailer for Independence Day Resurgence; I was thinking it looked exactly the same as the first only bigger, and that was almost exactly the next line out of Jeff Goldblum's mouth. Pretty tragic really.

I thought it looked rather fun, I shall go and see it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Return to Sender. Promising film let down on many levels. Firstly, it's inconceivable that a woman as eligible as Rosamund Pike would be unattached at all, never mind ten years after she was attacked in her own home. Secondly, it's inconceivable that a dedicated nurse as proficient as Rosamund Pike's character would be so mentally unstable as to be pure evil. You can accept that from deserved Oscar winner Kathy Bates in 'Misery' but Rosamund Pike in 'Return to Sender'? Never. Thirdly, the father of the victim would be plotting to do serious damage to the rapist from the moment the attack occurred. He would most definitely do severe damage to the rapist while holding a pick-axe (ax in USA-ese) and catching sight of him in a DIY store - but doesn't!

Leaway2

Lycrist
The Program. Reasonably entertaining. After having watched the documentary films, I would have preferred if it had focused more on David Walsh and how he came by the information and conducted the investigation, and how he coped with the pressure that LA put on him.
7/10

Top Bottom