What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Hitchington, 2 Sep 2012.

1. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

Well I got to "Wages of Fear" (French with subtitles, 1953). Meh. Yes it got good in the second half of the film, but the problem was with the first half of the film which had character development at a prodigiously glacial pace. Easily could have chopped 30 mins off this, and it would have been the better for it. See spoiler comment at the end of this.

If I could rate it by halves, it would be 2/10 for the first half, and 9/10 for the second, so I suppose that leaves it rounded up to 6/10. Disappointing given the reviews I'd read. I would have loved to have talked with the director and writer to find out why they did the first half of the film the way they did -and what value they thought it brought to it.

Btw, anyone have any recommendations for a film noir (don't mind subtitles) from around the mid 20th century?

spoiler: I was disappointed with the way the fate of the second truck was dealt with, it just seemed... well.... disjointed. A seemingly half hearted attempt at developing the characters and then whoosh!

2. Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Nuts In May (1976) - more like a tv play. About a couple camping in Dorset, a vegetarian nature loving couple go camping to chill and enjoy the simple things. turns into a complete nightmare with the arrival of some unwanted neighbours. Absolutely hilarious. Keith Pratt (Roger Sloman) the leading actor is fantastic, they all are. It has a cast of about 5 people.

9/10

3. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Went Olde Worlde last night with The Miracle of Morgan's Creek - a 'screwball comedy' (a phrase admittedly to chill the blood) from 1943, and The Bank Dick, simply because a poster of WC Fields appeared in another movie I watched and I thought it had been awhile...

Morgan's turned out to be a blast - a ridiculous plot, centring on a handful of excellent characters, excellently played, a terrific script that never let up for an instant, delivering many belly laughs. Just a real good feelgood movie. As for The Bank Dick, you can see why Fields gets the reverence he does. The film as a whole is lumpy - quite long periods where nothing much happens and the jokes are thin on the ground, but studded with moments and scenes of utter brilliance, with physical pratfalls and one-liners that exploit Fields's misogynistic persona to superb effect. Early scenes with 'family life' where the family snarl and bicker and dig at each other viciously are a genuine delight. Nothing better in that line has ever been produced. Overall, a triumph. And Fields is, it proves, a genius.

4. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

had that on my hard drive for months and still not got round to watching it... might give it a go later.

Cletus Van Damme likes this.
  5. sheddy

sheddy Guru

Netflix question - is it possible somehow to get notifications for your film choice(s) ?
    I'm fed up of searching for their films that aren't available.

6. Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Seriously its top quality stuff.

7. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Finally got round to watching this last night,great film.Or should that read disturbing ? He really is a brilliant actor Harris.

AndyRM likes this.
  8. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Layer cake, I do like this film

Leaway2 likes this.
  9. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Just watched "Inferno" by Dan Brown

10. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Thoughts?

I liked Angels & Demons from the book of the same name by Dan Brown. Ewan McGregor was brilliant in it. Paul Bettany played a great character in Da Vinci Code.

Inferno... I can’t remember much about it. I’ll have to give it another go along with The Da Vinci Code.

biggs682 likes this.
  11. biggs682

Thoughts .. very good and didn't feel like we had been watching for over 2 hours so yes very good .

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  12. biggs682

Just watched "inside out " thought it was quite unusual but good

13. PaulB

PaulB Guru

I'll admit we were at a loss for something to do yesterday evening so watched the film Apostasy. It's a film about Jehovah's Witnesses in Manchester based on the life the director had lived through when he was in this nasty organisation. Two of the main protagonists were young ladies learning Urdu so they could converse with the Muslims whose doors they were knocking on to pick up converts in those areas. The mother cared more for her brainwashed version of the bible she'd been ordered to follow than the lives of her own daughters. (Spoiler alert!!!!) She insists one of them allows herself to die rather than receive a life-saving blood transfusion while her other daughter is desperate for her mother's help but is booted out of the family home for being pregnant and unmarried. We were yelling at the screen for the mother to bloody do something.

It's tough going but is a particularly telling insight into the inner workings of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Did I tell you I'm in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Programme? Old joke, I know!

The Crofted Crest likes this.
  14. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Pulp Fiction. What a movie! Never lets up from start to finish, and must have the best soundtrack of any movie, ever. The OD scenes are absolutely brilliant - a masterly tightrope walk over horror & black comedy. You can certainly see why it's so revered by movie nuts.

Wixsteman, meta lon, Leaway2 and 3 others like this.
  15. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Polar. A Netflix film about a group of assassins. Excellent story. Loads of gore. 8/10.

fossyant and meta lon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice