What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Equalizer II. Denzel Washington's only ever sequel. It went on a bit but he's got the talent of picking the right films to do and he's rarely been wrong. Tom Hanks said when working with Washington on 'Philadelphia' that it was like getting a masterclass in acting just watching him do his job. Can anyone name a poor film Washington's been in? I don't mean one you didn't like, I mean a poor film?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Enemy at the Gates.. Excellent film, he survived again;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Kubrick night from 8 on BBC2 tonight.2001 Space Odyesey followed by Paths of glory.Love Kubrick has he ever made a poor film ? Ok maybe Eyes Wide Shut.
Gave 2001 another try, having watched it when I was a student and been as best I remember distinctly underwhelmed. Have to say I wasn't much more whelmed this time round.

No narrative structure, no characters or character development, no real ideas involved, beyond schoolboy-level 'profundity': computer wins chess game - tick; computer appreciates artwork - tick; computer expresses emotions - tick...and so on. Other than that, interminable sections of low-level landscapes, posterised so's to be 'Jupiter' - unh-hunh - intercut with close ups of a human eye (also posterised, so's to be 'spacey') or model spacecraft manoeuvring around in the silence (heavy breathing optional).

Nope, I know it's a classic, and iconic, and all that, but I'm afraid I once again found it vacuous and -worst of all - just plain boring. Give me Barry Lyndon any day.

AndyRM

XOXO
Equalizer II. Denzel Washington's only ever sequel. It went on a bit but he's got the talent of picking the right films to do and he's rarely been wrong. Tom Hanks said when working with Washington on 'Philadelphia' that it was like getting a masterclass in acting just watching him do his job. Can anyone name a poor film Washington's been in? I don't mean one you didn't like, I mean a poor film?

Off the top of my head, Virtuosity, The Bone Collector and The Taking of Pelham 123. I don't think anyone other than Daniel Day Lewis can claim an immaculate acting CV.

Smudge

Veteran
Captain Fantastic on BBC2 last night.
First time i've seen it and i thought it was a great film.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What about the sequel to Malcolm IX he did?
Brings to mind the story - apparently true - that the name of Alan Bennett's The Madness of George III was changed to The Madness of King George for fear that American moviegoers would stay away, having never seen the first two.

Top Bottom