What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Hitchington, 2 Sep 2012.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Untouchable/The Intouchables (seems to go by both names) - absolutely terrific French film about a wealthy paraplegic who hires a young man from 'the projects' to be his carer. Hilarious and moving by turns, with some fantastic performances, tight, focused direction, and excellent cinematography. Not to mention one of the best pre-credits/credits sequences I've ever seen. It wasn't till the end credits that I discovered it was based on a true story, which of course made it just that much better. I came to it with high expectations on account of its IMDB 8.6. I was not disappointed. 9/10.

2. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

This looks very good. Where/how did you watch it?

3. swee'pea99

I bought a 2tb HD on eBay. When it turned up it proved to be absolutely stuffed with weird & wonderful movies - everything from Buster Keaton to the latest from Chile! ☺️

Tenacious Sloth likes this.
  4. GM

GM Legendary Member

On the strength of the trailer we went to see Cold Pursuit staring Liam Neeson last night..... hilariously bad.
    Script 1/10
    Acting 1/10
    Scenery 8/10
    Unintended humour 5/10
    Snow ploughs 10/10

5. swee'pea99

Excellent snow ploughs score. Must be one of the alltime top snow ploughs movies. Did it get a snow ploughs Oscar?

Markymark and GM like this.
  6. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

If you want snow ploughs, go for "Order of Disapearance"

10/10 for snow ploughs
    10/10 for scenery
    10/10 for acting (Stellan Starsgard as always outstanding, but rest of cast spot on too)
    10/10 script
    and 10/10 for the blackest of black comedy

swee'pea99 and GM like this.
  7. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald

We rather enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts film so thought we would give its sequel a chance. Quite simply, I was bored. I can only hope the three proposed sequels will be better. It was lacklustre.

8. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

The Dawn Wall - documentary about a couple of rock-climbers tackling El Capitan in Yosemite.

An amazing ( if obsessive) achievement, but even with an interest in rock climbing I occasionally found this tedious viewing. 5/10.

9. dodgy

dodgy Guru

I watched The Dawn Wall on Tuesday and thought it was superb! I'm not interested in rock climbing, but the dedication of those two. Fantastic, recommended.

Nigeyy likes this.
  10. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

Leon Le professional. The young Natalie Portman was excellent. 9/10

11. swee'pea99

Started off watching Sleuth, which gets an 8 rating on IMDb, and which I vaguely remember from my youth. Unspeakably awful. Gave up after an hour - I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. Started again with Midnight Cowboy, which was absolutely superb. Both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight on top form.

Adam4868 likes this.
  12. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Fifth Element - 9/10

Another Luc Besson classic, total sensory overload which rarely works, but with a story so excellent the madness just sort of washes over you.

One thing I cannot work out is how it gets away with a PG rating, given the amount of nudity, swearing and violence.

coco2, MontyVeda, Profpointy and 2 others like this.
  13. meta lon

meta lon Guru

It is a bit graphic, but i guess its futuristic so more licence to be graphic? Dont know how they decide to be honest. .
    Its a classic, love the film, i must have seen it 10 times

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  14. philk56

philk56 Veteran

I recorded this a few weeks ago and just got round to watching. Both brilliant and terrifying! Winner of this year's documentary Oscar.

15. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

I watched that as well, well worth a watch. A really quite amazing story, though I thought he was just a little bit off (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just a bit not the usual, which is good!). I started watching it and the wife and daughter got really caught up with it as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice