What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Started off watching Sleuth, which gets an 8 rating on IMDb, and which I vaguely remember from my youth. Unspeakably awful. Gave up after an hour - I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. Started again with Midnight Cowboy, which was absolutely superb. Both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight on top form.

AndyRM

XOXO
Fifth Element - 9/10

Another Luc Besson classic, total sensory overload which rarely works, but with a story so excellent the madness just sort of washes over you.

One thing I cannot work out is how it gets away with a PG rating, given the amount of nudity, swearing and violence.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fifth Element - 9/10

Another Luc Besson classic, total sensory overload which rarely works, but with a story so excellent the madness just sort of washes over you.

One thing I cannot work out is how it gets away with a PG rating, given the amount of nudity, swearing and violence.

It is a bit graphic, but i guess its futuristic so more licence to be graphic? Dont know how they decide to be honest. .
Its a classic, love the film, i must have seen it 10 times

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I watched that as well, well worth a watch. A really quite amazing story, though I thought he was just a little bit off (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just a bit not the usual, which is good!). I started watching it and the wife and daughter got really caught up with it as well.

I watched The Dawn Wall on Tuesday and thought it was superb! I'm not interested in rock climbing, but the dedication of those two. Fantastic, recommended.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well I got to "Wages of Fear" (French with subtitles, 1953). Meh. Yes it got good in the second half of the film, but the problem was with the first half of the film which had character development at a prodigiously glacial pace. Easily could have chopped 30 mins off this, and it would have been the better for it. See spoiler comment at the end of this.

If I could rate it by halves, it would be 2/10 for the first half, and 9/10 for the second, so I suppose that leaves it rounded up to 6/10. Disappointing given the reviews I'd read. I would have loved to have talked with the director and writer to find out why they did the first half of the film the way they did -and what value they thought it brought to it.

Btw, anyone have any recommendations for a film noir (don't mind subtitles) from around the mid 20th century?

spoiler: I was disappointed with the way the fate of the second truck was dealt with, it just seemed... well.... disjointed. A seemingly half hearted attempt at developing the characters and then whoosh!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Nuts In May (1976) - more like a tv play. About a couple camping in Dorset, a vegetarian nature loving couple go camping to chill and enjoy the simple things. turns into a complete nightmare with the arrival of some unwanted neighbours. Absolutely hilarious. Keith Pratt (Roger Sloman) the leading actor is fantastic, they all are. It has a cast of about 5 people.

9/10

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Went Olde Worlde last night with The Miracle of Morgan's Creek - a 'screwball comedy' (a phrase admittedly to chill the blood) from 1943, and The Bank Dick, simply because a poster of WC Fields appeared in another movie I watched and I thought it had been awhile...

Morgan's turned out to be a blast - a ridiculous plot, centring on a handful of excellent characters, excellently played, a terrific script that never let up for an instant, delivering many belly laughs. Just a real good feelgood movie. As for The Bank Dick, you can see why Fields gets the reverence he does. The film as a whole is lumpy - quite long periods where nothing much happens and the jokes are thin on the ground, but studded with moments and scenes of utter brilliance, with physical pratfalls and one-liners that exploit Fields's misogynistic persona to superb effect. Early scenes with 'family life' where the family snarl and bicker and dig at each other viciously are a genuine delight. Nothing better in that line has ever been produced. Overall, a triumph. And Fields is, it proves, a genius.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Nuts In May (1976) - more like a tv play. About a couple camping in Dorset, a vegetarian nature loving couple go camping to chill and enjoy the simple things. turns into a complete nightmare with the arrival of some unwanted neighbours. Absolutely hilarious. Keith Pratt (Roger Sloman) the leading actor is fantastic, they all are. It has a cast of about 5 people.

9/10
had that on my hard drive for months and still not got round to watching it... might give it a go later.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Netflix question - is it possible somehow to get notifications for your film choice(s) ?
I'm fed up of searching for their films that aren't available.

Adam4868

Guru
Possum - 10/10

I don't really have the words to describe this. It's wild, unsettling and will stick with you. The closing scene is probably the most harrowing thing I've seen.
Finally got round to watching this last night,great film.Or should that read disturbing ? He really is a brilliant actor Harris.

Top Bottom