What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Hitchington, 2 Sep 2012.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Roma. Baffled by its Oscar. Stunning b/w cinematography, but otherwise pretty much bereft of anything you'd think of as essential to a movie. A story, eg. No beginning, middle, end. You drop in on another life, hang around for a bit, The End. Beautiful, but that's about it.

The Crofted Crest likes this.
  2. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Death wish, not great, not bad, a remake, hopefully they wont make another 4

3. Houthakker

Houthakker Über Member

Finally gpt around to watching Bohemian Rhapsody. Thought it was quite good,

4. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Event Horizon - 7/10

Not perfect, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Shame it was butchered by the studio, but that's not the first or last time. I'd forgotten that Funky Sh!t was the song in the closing credits, which hit me right in the feels.

5. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

Elevator to the Gallows -I really enjoyed this one. Keeping in mind this is from 1958, it is a pretty advanced film for its time -though of course The Third Man came 9 years earlier. Some parts of the story aren't quite believable (or at least stretch your imagination), however it's really enjoyable and while usually I'm not a big jazz fan, I have to hand it to the Miles Davis soundtrack. A solid 8.5/10 for me.

I'd love to get hold of a copy of "Hell Drivers" with Stanley Baxter which is probably going to be difficult for me -but along the same vein, I think my next film is going to be "Wages of Fear" (another French film).

6. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

Can I just say, I'm totally with you on this one. My wife and I started watching it on Netflix, and we turned it off after 30 mins (and I really think I'm a patient person for films and willing to give them time to develop). I just have absolutely no idea about why critics were so keen on this.... Yes, I also agree it was well filmed, but I can't say I want to spend minutes watching someone park a car or clean a floor. Weird, just weird, I can only think he has some big friends in Hollywood.

7. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

Plenty of copies on Ebay. Some are -R copies though not the TS format.

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've acquired 'Bumble Bee' and 'Aquaman' for some light entertainment at weekend when my wife is away (got to love Transformers stuff).

9. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'm across the pond but recently set my dvd to play any format dvds -just got to find one now that will ship to the US and at a reasonable cost :smile:

Leaway2 likes this.
  10. swee'pea99

Leon. Cracking action-packer, with a good twisty plot, some great dialogue, terrific action sequences, tight direction and some really excellent central performances, not least from Gary Oldman, who out-Rickmans Rickman as the arch English villain.

gbb, MontyVeda, CarlP and 2 others like this.
  11. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Sleeping Dogs - 6.5/10

Picked this up expecting it to be an immature load of nonsense that would switch my brain off for a couple of hours, but it's actually a pretty engaging story about love, family and mistakes. Without giving anything away, by getting the catalyst out of the way right from the start you aren't left thinking, so what did happen, which makes for a much better film.

12. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Aqua man is total carp. Well produced carp, but still carp.

13. swee'pea99

See also Blade Runner 2049.

14. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo 'Real Life, and Postcard Views, Europe Endless'

1972's Deliverance. Just gets better.

Nigeyy likes this.
  15. swee'pea99

The film even Burt Reynolds is good in.

Nigeyy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice