What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sleeping Dogs - 6.5/10

Picked this up expecting it to be an immature load of nonsense that would switch my brain off for a couple of hours, but it's actually a pretty engaging story about love, family and mistakes. Without giving anything away, by getting the catalyst out of the way right from the start you aren't left thinking, so what did happen, which makes for a much better film.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've acquired 'Bumble Bee' and 'Aquaman' for some light entertainment at weekend when my wife is away (got to love Transformers stuff).
Aqua man is total carp. Well produced carp, but still carp.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well guess who found "Hell Drivers" on Amazon Prime for free? Just watched it.

Hmmm as with many films, I remember watching this when I was (much) younger and enjoying it much more then, rather than the second time around as an older person. It's still entertaining, though does beg the following questions and observations:

1. did people back in the 1950's really wear a blazer and tie when driving a bulldozer? Surely not?
2. did Tom (Stanley Baker) have a copious supply of the same shirt, or did he just never wash them?
3. drinking (Harp if I'm not mistaken), driving, speeding and driving like a lunatic in a dump truck wasn't obviously frowned on in those days
4. was the 1950's really like that? It's a surreal world of tweed, steam trains, sandwiches wrapped up in brown paper (I assume brown as it's black and white) tied up with string, transport caffs, people who take their jackets off before they fight and town hall dances with each man having "his girl"
5. has there ever been anyone who defines the word "lecherousness" more than Sid James?

Amazing how many well known actors were in that film too. A very young Sean Connery and David McCallum to mention a couple. A solid 7.5/10 (got to be honest, glad I didn't buy the dvd, and while I was entertained, I'm not sure I'll ever be watching this again).

Leaway2

Lycrist
Well guess who found "Hell Drivers" on Amazon Prime for free? Just watched it.

Hmmm as with many films, I remember watching this when I was (much) younger and enjoying it much more then, rather than the second time around as an older person. It's still entertaining, though does beg the following questions and observations:

1. did people back in the 1950's really wear a blazer and tie when driving a bulldozer? Surely not?
2. did Tom (Stanley Baker) have a copious supply of the same shirt, or did he just never wash them?
3. drinking (Harp if I'm not mistaken), driving, speeding and driving like a lunatic in a dump truck wasn't obviously frowned on in those days
4. was the 1950's really like that? It's a surreal world of tweed, steam trains, sandwiches wrapped up in brown paper (I assume brown as it's black and white) tied up with string, transport caffs, people who take their jackets off before they fight and town hall dances with each man having "his girl"
5. has there ever been anyone who defines the word "lecherousness" more than Sid James?

Amazing how many well known actors were in that film too. A very young Sean Connery and David McCallum to mention a couple. A solid 7.5/10 (got to be honest, glad I didn't buy the dvd, and while I was entertained, I'm not sure I'll ever be watching this again).
Well I've got to watch it now!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@Nigeyy thanks for the heads up. I’m going to put that on my watch list.

Re your point 1. Probably, my dad, when he was an apprentice carpenter and early on a a jobbing carpenter around the time that film was made had to turn up to work with shirt, jacket and tie.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Elevator to the Gallows -I really enjoyed this one. Keeping in mind this is from 1958, it is a pretty advanced film for its time -though of course The Third Man came 9 years earlier. Some parts of the story aren't quite believable (or at least stretch your imagination), however it's really enjoyable and while usually I'm not a big jazz fan, I have to hand it to the Miles Davis soundtrack. A solid 8.5/10 for me.

I'd love to get hold of a copy of "Hell Drivers" with Stanley Baxter which is probably going to be difficult for me -but along the same vein, I think my next film is going to be "Wages of Fear" (another French film).

Wages of fear is a masterpiece

Hell drivers I saw as a kid, but don't think I'd bother witb again

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hell Drivers (1957) A team of tipper truck drivers throw the highway code out the window in order to maximise their wages. The driving scenes are really badly speeded up (a common 'effect' in this era) but it's a gripping film from start to finish... especially with its star studded cast: Stanley Baker, Sean Connery, Sid James, Gordon Jackson, David McCallum, Patrick McGoohan, William Hartnell and Alfie Bass. (6/10)
I think I'll give it another go one day.

Top Bottom