What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, just NO :stop:

Too late. :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Elevator to the Gallows -I really enjoyed this one. Keeping in mind this is from 1958, it is a pretty advanced film for its time -though of course The Third Man came 9 years earlier. Some parts of the story aren't quite believable (or at least stretch your imagination), however it's really enjoyable and while usually I'm not a big jazz fan, I have to hand it to the Miles Davis soundtrack. A solid 8.5/10 for me.
By one of those weird coincidences I came across this on a HD I bought off ebay just after reading your review, never having so much as heard of it before. I agree - a terrific film, and the Miles Davis soundtrack is tres tres bon.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just watched the true story, Lion, which has been mentioned a couple of times here.
Thought it lost its way in the middle, but the start and finish were powerful cinema.

the Miles Davis soundtrack is tres tres bon.

The story* goes that Miles was asked to record the soundtrack so he went to a private showing to see the film. He then told the sound recorder to turn the microphones on and the cinema bod to rerun the film and he stood in front of the screen and improvised and adlibbed his way through it. Genius!

* Many stories told by Miles about Miles are, shall we say, embellished for consumption.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The story* goes that Miles was asked to record the soundtrack so he went to a private showing to see the film. He then told the sound recorder to turn the microphones on and the cinema bod to rerun the film and he stood in front of the screen and improvised and adlibbed his way through it. Genius!

* Many stories told by Miles about Miles are, shall we say, embellished for consumption.
Very interesting. And for all Miles's famed self-serving memory, this one has the ring of truth about it. Certainly I can't bring to mind any film that uses music better.

Very interesting. And for all Miles's famed self-serving memory, this one has the ring of truth about it. Certainly I can't bring to mind any film that uses music better.

Hmm, perhaps the Miles-aggrandisement was on my part. I remember reading the tale I told above somewhere, but I don't know where. In his autobiography, Miles just says, "It was a great learning experience because I had never written a music score for a film before. I would look at the rushes of the film and get musical ideas to write down." Still a genius thobut.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I, Tonya. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but my missus wanted to watch it so I said ok. Terrific! Full of excellent performances and great one-liners. A strange and compelling tale, told with great relish. 8/10.

I watched I Tonya last night on Amazon and can confirm It is great.

For anyone who thinks it isn’t their type of film the best way I can convince them is by saying it is a bit like Goodfellas on ice,

How much is true and how much has been twisted to make Tonya appear like the victim is debatable, but the film is superb.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Very good films - just watching the Second one now.

Bumble Bee was OK, typical switch brain off and enjoy robots fighting.

Aquaman wasn't bad, lovely looking film, plot quite weak, but hey ho. It's an easy watch.

I quite fancy watching Aquaman myself. Looks good in the trailors

Top Bottom