What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Hitchington, 2 Sep 2012.

1. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo 'Real Life, and Postcard Views, Europe Endless'

Yes he was a good choice with Voigt. They wanted Nicholson and Brando but couldn't afford them.

2. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

Well guess who found "Hell Drivers" on Amazon Prime for free? Just watched it.

Hmmm as with many films, I remember watching this when I was (much) younger and enjoying it much more then, rather than the second time around as an older person. It's still entertaining, though does beg the following questions and observations:

1. did people back in the 1950's really wear a blazer and tie when driving a bulldozer? Surely not?
    2. did Tom (Stanley Baker) have a copious supply of the same shirt, or did he just never wash them?
    3. drinking (Harp if I'm not mistaken), driving, speeding and driving like a lunatic in a dump truck wasn't obviously frowned on in those days
    4. was the 1950's really like that? It's a surreal world of tweed, steam trains, sandwiches wrapped up in brown paper (I assume brown as it's black and white) tied up with string, transport caffs, people who take their jackets off before they fight and town hall dances with each man having "his girl"
    5. has there ever been anyone who defines the word "lecherousness" more than Sid James?

Amazing how many well known actors were in that film too. A very young Sean Connery and David McCallum to mention a couple. A solid 7.5/10 (got to be honest, glad I didn't buy the dvd, and while I was entertained, I'm not sure I'll ever be watching this again).

MontyVeda and Leaway2 like this.
  3. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

Well I've got to watch it now!

Nigeyy likes this.
  4. CarlP

CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

@Nigeyy thanks for the heads up. I’m going to put that on my watch list.

Re your point 1. Probably, my dad, when he was an apprentice carpenter and early on a a jobbing carpenter around the time that film was made had to turn up to work with shirt, jacket and tie.

Nigeyy likes this.
  5. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Wages of fear is a masterpiece

Hell drivers I saw as a kid, but don't think I'd bother witb again

Nigeyy likes this.
  6. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I think I'll give it another go one day.

Nigeyy likes this.
  7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Wasn't expecting much so I'll take a look over the weekend. If it's codswallop then, so bream it.

I'll get my coat.

Beebo likes this.
  8. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

I might watch it just for the halibut

Beebo, fossyant and Tenacious Sloth like this.
  9. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

No, just NO :stop:

10. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Equalizer with Denzil Washington. Very good. Might watch the second one as well.

classic33 likes this.
  11. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

Just don’t carp on about it afterwards or eel probably wish he hadn’t mentioned it.

classic33 and fossyant like this.
  12. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

Too late. :laugh:

fossyant likes this.
  13. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

These are on my list too

welsh dragon likes this.
  14. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

They are very good.

fossyant likes this.
  15. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

By one of those weird coincidences I came across this on a HD I bought off ebay just after reading your review, never having so much as heard of it before. I agree - a terrific film, and the Miles Davis soundtrack is tres tres bon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice