What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
The Photographer of Mathausen.
We usually 'like' this kind of film. My wife thought it was ok....I just thought it was carp.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
2017 remake of Papillon:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5093026/

Uninvolving characters, unrealistic eg 5 years in solitary, minimal food etc and the main character comes out of the foul cell with a beautiful set of Hollywood teeth, utterly ridiculous.

Stick with the original - 3/10 for this version.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sully on Amazon.
A drama documentary about the plane crash on the Hudson River.
It was ok but made the crash investigations out to be idiotic.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Roma. Baffled by its Oscar. Stunning b/w cinematography, but otherwise pretty much bereft of anything you'd think of as essential to a movie. A story, eg. No beginning, middle, end. You drop in on another life, hang around for a bit, The End. Beautiful, but that's about it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Event Horizon - 7/10

Not perfect, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Shame it was butchered by the studio, but that's not the first or last time. I'd forgotten that Funky Sh!t was the song in the closing credits, which hit me right in the feels.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Elevator to the Gallows -I really enjoyed this one. Keeping in mind this is from 1958, it is a pretty advanced film for its time -though of course The Third Man came 9 years earlier. Some parts of the story aren't quite believable (or at least stretch your imagination), however it's really enjoyable and while usually I'm not a big jazz fan, I have to hand it to the Miles Davis soundtrack. A solid 8.5/10 for me.

I'd love to get hold of a copy of "Hell Drivers" with Stanley Baxter which is probably going to be difficult for me -but along the same vein, I think my next film is going to be "Wages of Fear" (another French film).

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Can I just say, I'm totally with you on this one. My wife and I started watching it on Netflix, and we turned it off after 30 mins (and I really think I'm a patient person for films and willing to give them time to develop). I just have absolutely no idea about why critics were so keen on this.... Yes, I also agree it was well filmed, but I can't say I want to spend minutes watching someone park a car or clean a floor. Weird, just weird, I can only think he has some big friends in Hollywood.

Roma. Baffled by its Oscar. Stunning b/w cinematography, but otherwise pretty much bereft of anything you'd think of as essential to a movie. A story, eg. No beginning, middle, end. You drop in on another life, hang around for a bit, The End. Beautiful, but that's about it.

Top Bottom