What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Finally got round to watching Get Out, which has been on my list for a while.

Excellent film, really clever, dripping with satire, and top-drawer acting. Not really horror in the normal sense, more of a mystery with horror elements.
It gets a virtually unheard of 9/10 from me. (as perfection is impossible)

Seriously, watch it.

Really good film, one of the better films I've seen lately..

cm2mackem

Über Member
Felt impelled to chuck the title in the search box and up this popped.

Saw it (or some) last night - I thought it unbelievably awful and walked half way through - it's a long long long time since I walked out of a film but I did at least save the rest of the evening. And didn't pay to see the thing.

I fail to understand why it received so much praise, oscar/s - yes a mostly black cast and some strong female characters - but not strong characters in the sense of interesting.

At least a fair few folk on imdb seem to feel the same way.

Not as bad as Aqua Man,

Not as bad as Aqua Man,
Cripes- that must be awful - thanks for the warning.

By the by I think the last time I walked out of a film was back in the 70s - a Ken Russell film - but I forgive him as he produced several wonders.

If the folk behind Black Panther produce anything half as good as his best stuff they can die happy.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Favourite. Bit conflicted about this one. Overall, we enjoyed it, but I suspect that without the three towering central performances we would have been even more irritated than we were (which was quite a lot) by its continual cutesyness, which became very distracting and intrusive, and contributed nothing: weird 'arty' typography on the scene titles....strange and pointless noises (you couldn't call it music) in the background...perhaps most annoying of all, repeated use of near-fisheye lenses, distorting scenes in a way that seemed entirely pointless, immediately snapped you out of the experience, and left you thinking about the weird use of lenses rather than the story you were watching.

The ending was bizarre too - and not in a good, imaginative way. It didn't so much end as ...stop. It felt like the director just decided to call it a day because he'd got bored with the whole thing and couldn't be bothered to continue. Having said all of which, Olivia Coleman will probably pick up an Oscar - and rightly so. And her two co stars also played a blinder.

An odd experience altogether, but we certainly didn't regret seeing it. And I suspect it'll prove to be one of those films that has staying power. People who are into movies will still be discussing and referencing it in 20 years.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We watched an amazing film last night. We really loved it. It was 'Bad Day at the El Royale' (also known as Bad times at the El Royale) starring Jeff Bridges and Chris Emsworth. The less you know about this going in to it, the better. One thing I can reveal though is that it's set in a hotel which straddles the California/Nevada border, some rooms in one state and some in the other leading to some charging anomalies. That's not the central thing of the film but it is an interesting quirk about it.

postman

Legendary Member
Assassin's Creed i could not tell who was supposed to be the goodies or the baddies.I know these are the goodies
2166.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This week I watched a film with Clive Owen and Julia Roberts that was bad I can’t remember what it is called. -20/10

Also this week Ronin again FAB film, apart from Sean Bean who’s a berk playing a berk. 9/10

Then A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More. The last time I saw these were at a triple bill with TGTB&TU at the ABC in Esther. I enjoyed them back in the 70s , now, not so much. Relentless close ups of not very attractive men who can’t act got a bit irksome. 3/10

This week I watched a film with Clive Owen and Julia Roberts that was bad I can’t remember what it is called. -20/10

Also this week Ronin again FAB film, apart from Sean Bean who’s a berk playing a berk. 9/10

Then A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More. The last time I saw these were at a triple bill with TGTB&TU at the ABC in Esther. I enjoyed them back in the 70s , now, not so much. Relentless close ups of not very attractive men who can’t act got a bit irksome. 3/10
Esher?
Great cinema. Seemed to remain as a single screen very late.
Suppose it's shut now or split?

It was still a single screen in the early late 80s/early 90s - I used to work near it. A real joy to go into an unmucked around cinema building.

I mean it had an upstairs :smile:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My back has been knackered so I watched 5 films this weekend. I've seen 4 of them several times before.

District 9 - One of the best sci-fi films ever made. Has everything 9.5/10

Chappie - Not as good as District 9 by the same director, but way better than the reviews suggest. Terrible music in it though 8/10

Kickass - Just an excellent film. Should be really called Hit Girl. Watched several times. 9/10

Starship Troopers - Excellent fun, effects still stand up, great satire 8.5/10

Blindspotting - The worst film I watched but it was still good, just more serious than the others, also a recent film 7/10

I'm really looking forward to the latest Robocop film. Apparently it is being directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Chappie). I couldn't think of anybody better for it.

Drago

Legendary Member
15:17 To Paris.

A true story of the 3 Americans who disarmed an AKM toting loon on a French train, and beat him unconscious for his trouble. Most of it is dull tosh, but the actual train scene, recreated with the real people (albeit an actor playing the terrorist) was great. They slapped him good! Despite being f seriously injured himself one of them then gave first aid to a passenger that had been shot. That scene alone lifts an otherwise dull film to...

6.5/10.

Top Bottom