What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Hitchington, 2 Sep 2012.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Pulp Fiction. What a movie! Never lets up from start to finish, and must have the best soundtrack of any movie, ever. The OD scenes are absolutely brilliant - a masterly tightrope walk over horror & black comedy. You can certainly see why it's so revered by movie nuts.

Wixsteman, meta lon, Leaway2 and 3 others like this.
  2. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Polar. A Netflix film about a group of assassins. Excellent story. Loads of gore. 8/10.

meta lon likes this.
  3. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Lords of Chaos - 3/10

The story, in a way, of Mayhem, one of my favourite bands and pioneers of the black metal sound.

I admit that I was expecting to be disappointed by this, and I was. But I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised given the book used as kind of source material. What frustrates me most is that it was directed by someone involved and influential in the scene, who really should have known better.

4. PaulB

PaulB Guru

Just back from the pictures seeing The Keeper, a biopic of the German POW Bert Trautmann who earned eternal fame by staying on in England and fighting back against prejudice and hatred and winning the people over with his ability. Of course, his main claim to fame was playing on in an FA Cup Final with a broken neck which could have killed him. A young couple in front of us were totally bemused why he wasn't subbed! I had to explain in the foyer outside.

Couple of minor gripes; the hills around St. Helens, the first amateur team to play Trautmann while he was still in the POW camp in 1945, have either all worn away to nothing or - imagine this - it wasn't filmed anywhere near St. Helens! And neither Bert nor his wife aged a day between 1945 and 1954, which is quite amazing! Other than that, it was a truly magnificent film.

I'd like to give it the best 6/10 I've given any film this year so far.

The Crofted Crest likes this.
  5. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Cinema last night on a date with the boy to see The Room - 10/10

As a film, this is a total disaster, but as a shared experience in a cinema hurling plastic spoons at the screen, American footballs to other folks, and yelling out nonsense, banter and insults it cannot be beaten.

I'd forgotten just how many things there are wrong with it. Plot lines are introduced then completely forgotten about, there are so many out of focus shots, the score is bizarre, the sex scenes laughable, a good 15 minutes of random establishing shots in case you'd forgotten it was in San Francisco.

Watch it with friends, and have an absolute riot.

This scene sums it up pretty much perfectly:

6. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Stan & Ollie - the best film I've seen this year. Coogan and Reilly are both superbly cast and totally convincing in their roles. A gentle, moving film that looks at the end of their career without being maudlin.

Profpointy and The Crofted Crest like this.
  7. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I watched Dumbo with my son.

He enjoyed it, but hasnt seen the cartoon version.

I didnt like it much. Not one of Tim Burtons finest.

8. Proto

Proto Veteran

Beautiful Creatures. Stellar cast - Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson, Viola Davis amongst others - what could possibly go wrong? Well, it turns out, just about everything. Slow, ponderous, ridiculous storyline, and even the acting far from engaging (some very dodgy accents!)
    I really tried to like it, gave it my best shot, but I lasted about 45 minutes, then turned it off. Avoid, it’s terrible. 2/10

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
  9. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

Premium Rush. Saw it advertised in the Sunday papers, thought we'd give it a go. Enjoyed it, 7/10.
    We only watch popcorn and kid's movies, really, never horror. Sci-fi and action too, if not gory. So we're a bit weedy as film watchers!

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Black '47 (Netflix)

Revenge thriller set during the Great Hunger. A Connaught Ranger returns home to find Ireland in the grip of famine, and his family the victims of callous landlords and their agents.

What follows is a very western-esque tale of a man pushed beyond his limits taking revenge on those who have wronged him, pursued by Hugo Weaving's weary detective, a pompous, rigid, but well meaning Army captain and the idealistic private who serves as his orderly. Set against a bleakly beautiful (and wonderfully photographed) countryside, it has great performances, especially from the impassive James Frecheville as the wronged soldier, and Stephen Rea, who joins the hunters as a translator.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice