What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Now, that's my type of review - having Amazon Prime, are the first two the same and worth watching?
The first is ok, but weirdly mawkish at times (Wick's consequenceless mowing down of identikit henchmen sits uneasily with what we're supposed to feel about his own loss, imo). I was surprised to find the second better, focussed more on the action and less on the motivation. Neither makes much sense, of course, but the second embraces that more than the first, and is more enjoyable as a result.

I watched Byzantium (Netflix).

Wordy horror - pretty good, and the female leads are great, but didn't really grab me.

postman

Legendary Member
I sat with George my neighbour as i do on a Friday and Tuesday.We watched Elizabeth with Cate Blanchette,it was superb.So much so i will go to the Library and get a book out on Elizabeth 1.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I thought I was missing something..... Somehow I've never watched "Get Carter" with Michael Caine. Happened to see it on Netflix and started watching it. The only good thing about it was the sense of nostalgia with England from the early 1970's, but aside from that.... I couldn't get though the entire film, I thought it was pretty bad!

1 out of 10 (the one point is for the potential that it *might* have got really much much better for the last 30-45 mins).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Blood: The Last Vampire (Prime)

I've not seen the anime, so can't comment on how it compared to that, but this version seems rather hamstrung by the inclusion of American characters, who I assume are supposed to be the audience's way into the story. The protagonist, and villain, all spring from oriental mythology, and it feels like the film rather stutters to a halt every time things have to be explained to the American characters. Its monsters are also rendered poorly in CGI, with a distracting, almost stop motion quality to them (it may be an intentional stylistic choice, but it didn't work for me). Shame, because there's a lot to like (female protagonist and villain, no pointless love interest shoehorned in, antagonists from an interesting and distinct mythology) but the whole just isn't much more than ok.

yello

Sully - wasn't expecting a great deal, which may have been key, but found it edged in slightly above expectation. One can see why it was a story that appealed to Clint Eastwood to make a movie of, and it was accordingly delivered as a 'one guy against authority' kind of way. Tom Hanks is a limited but capable actor and his role didn't stretch him. Watchable entertainment without being challenging.

postman

Legendary Member
An update on the film Elizabeth,with Cate Blanchett,i was so impressed with the film,i went onto YouTube and entered Elizabeth 1,up came loads of info.So i followed David Starkey and 4 x 48 min progs.After watching those fantastic progs,i have to say the film is a sh productio of the true life of Elizabeth they took liberties and now i think the film is crap.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Blues Brothers 2000. This is a sequel to the classic. Belushi was no longer with us, so they substituted an unlikely seeming John Goodman, with Ackroyd playing the remaining Blues Brother as before.

It defied my rather low expectations and was actually on a par, or at least pretty close to the original.
Cleverly, Goodman played an even straighter man to Ackroyd's original straight man rather playing a replacement funny man. He is playing a different person, rather than simply recast, but the two of them are the central double act as it were. Amazingly Goodman is a really good song and dance man - proper dancing, not novelty fat bloke dancing.

Of course, the plot is paper thin but it's great stupid fun, and full of good music and joy. Notable appearances from various stars including BB King and Eric Clapton.

I really enjoyed it - let's say 8/10

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The Meg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

At least Sharknado films have the decency not to take themselves seriously

and if I wanted to watch a film, where the only blood and guts you see is one unconvincing severed arm, I would have watched Star Wars - A New Hope

3/10

AndyRM

XOXO
Avengers Endgame

Wouldn't be fair to rate this really, as I've only watched a few films from the Marvel Comic Universe so I had no idea what the significance of many events meant, though my date did and he was not happy about a few things. Apparently it ties a lot of things together, but you really need to have seen all the films to have a remote idea as to why anything is happening, so as a stand alone film it is a complete failure.

That said, it's funny in parts, the CGI is excellent, and overall I enjoyed it, but jeezo 3 hours is a slog for what is essentially a film for children.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Independence Day: Resurgence simply because it was on Film 4 last night. I've still got the last 30-40 minutes to watch if I start to lose the will to live!

Top Bottom