What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hustle.

I'm not sure I can say anything about this movie without giving away any spoilers.

You can say whether it was any good or not!

mustang1

Guru
You can say whether it was any good or not!

Well, uhm, i have to compare it to another movie and if I name the other movie, it will give the entire game away. And i cant say if the movie is good or not without comparing it t the other movie because 90% of the movie, even down to the jokes, are based on the other movie. The other movie was excellent and this one is, well, it would have been ok, except I just couldn't stop thinking about the other movie.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rocketman

Loved it. A great mix of biography, fantasy, musical & music. Completely bonkers at times and doesn't pull any punches. Funny in some parts and very sad in others.

I was expecting another bohemian Rhapsody, with Dexter Fletcher directing both films but really glad it wasn't.
A well told, well acted and well filmed story. The actor who plays Elton is brilliant.

One thing the movIe also shows is how many really great songs Elton John/Bernie Taupin wrote/recorded.

Elton on the old death deck for most of the day methinks.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Rocketman

Loved it. A great mix of biography, fantasy, musical & music. Completely bonkers at times and doesn't pull any punches. Funny in some parts and very sad in others.

I was expecting another bohemian Rhapsody, with Dexter Fletcher directing both films but really glad it wasn't.
A well told, well acted and well filmed story. The actor who plays Elton is brilliant.

One thing the move also shows is how many really great songs Elton John/Bernie Taupin wrote/recorded.

Elton on the old death deck for most of the day methinks.
Taron Egerton. He was good in the Kingsman films as Eggsy.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well, uhm, i have to compare it to another movie and if I name the other movie, it will give the entire game away. And i cant say if the movie is good or not without comparing it t the other movie because 90% of the movie, even down to the jokes, are based on the other movie. The other movie was excellent and this one is, well, it would have been ok, except I just couldn't stop thinking about the other movie.

Sounds like when you're in a relationship and can't stop thinking about your ex!

Edit: presumably other film was
DRS
?

Lullabelle

Banana
Last night we watched Arrival, a lot of padding out, loud music drowned out the whispered and mumbled dialogue so couldn't make sense of it. Afterwards the channel 4 announcer said 'nope, not a clue' that pretty much summed it up :scratch::scratch:

AndyRM

XOXO
Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 3/10

Having seen Vince Vaughn's previous attempts at "serious" acting, I'd decided not to bother with this. But it's on Netflix so decided to give it a go, as it has been highly rated by people I normally trust... I feel like I must have seen a different film, because in place of broody gritty realism, I got clunky stilted nonsense. It's also really weirdly shot with blue being the predominant colour for everything and scenes so dark you literally can't see anything. At first we thought the TV had gone wrong, but nope, that's just how it looks. There are a couple of impressive (if implausible) action scenes which I've added a couple of points for, but this is not one I'll be revisiting to see if I got it wrong.

My boyfriend gave up after an hour and I wish I'd done the same.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Revolt (Netflix)

Middling sci fi action fare. Set in Kenya, it has a US Soldier and a French medic trying to reach safety during what seems to be an apocalyptic alien invasion. The best stuff is the art direction and creature design, for my money. There's not much new in the plot or premise.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Last night we watched Arrival, a lot of padding out, loud music drowned out the whispered and mumbled dialogue so couldn't make sense of it. Afterwards the channel 4 announcer said 'nope, not a clue' that pretty much summed it up :scratch::scratch:

We had to put on the sub-titling to understand anything. You are right - mostly padding to fill out a very thin and illogical story

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Went to see the Elton John biopic Rocketman last night. Pretty good, enjoyable and my EJ fan friend loved it. Plays differently than Bohemian Rhapsody with the whole cast suddenly bursting into Bollywood-style song & dance numbers. Actually feels like a stage musical. Bit surreal in places, but nonetheless a good solid performance from the actor as Elton.

One thing for sure, the Chinese censors who cut BR to get rid of the gay content are going to find they’ll have to really butcher this one. It’s more central to the story.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I loved it. The sense of wonder and mystery, and not fully explaining turned it into something magical for me

Top Bottom