What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Saw a couple of films in the last few days

World War Z - a surprisingly good, dare I say realistic, zombie apocalypse movie. Not normally my sort of thing, but this was reasonably plausable and self-consistent - without too many of the usual cliches

And on a much lighter note "Still Crazy" a superior film about a has-been rock band reforming. Terrific cast includes Billy Connolly, Timothy Spall, Steven Rea and above all Bill Nighey who dominates the film with a nuanced and poignant turn as the rather spaced out front man. A minor masterpiece

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The Water Horse Legend of the deep

IMG_20190624_125415294.jpg

Totally watchable .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Captain Fantastic - we loved it. About a hippyish/new world type and his brood of six kids living in the middle of the woods in America's pacific northwest, essentially avoiding contemporary America and everything it stands for. Could have got overly preachy, but managed to avoid it (IMHO) by also touching on the downsides of what could otherwise have been a somewhat nauseatingly right on existence. Excellent script, beautifully filmed, superbly acted. Not for everyone, but for me an 8, possibly even 9/10.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apollo 11

A documentary of the moon landing. It is spliced together footage turned into 90 minutes of cinematic masterpiece. A horizon episode it is not - no interviews and little narration other than a couple of contemporary graphics with voice over describing key stages - "show not tell" throughout. I was gripped and on the edge my seat throughout. A minor quibble is that the music intruded once or twice, but that is a mere quibble. You need to see it in the cinema

10/10 all the same

Drago

Legendary Member
Lone Survivor.

A bit sheet really, but interesting to see the Sig Sauer MCX with Sig holographic sights being used as a marksman level rifle.

5/10. True story, but the film is really of interest to gun nuts.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Apollo 11

A documentary of the moon landing. It is spliced together footage turned into 90 minutes of cinematic masterpiece. A horizon episode it is not - no interviews and little narration other than a couple of contemporary graphics with voice over describing key stages - "show not tell" throughout. I was gripped and on the edge my seat throughout. A minor quibble is that the music intruded once or twice, but that is a mere quibble. You need to see it in the cinema

10/10 all the same

..been planning to go see this.. You've made up my mind. Will be booking tickets.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Thor: Ragnarock on HBO.

Surprisingly good film.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Festival - starring one of the Inbetweeners and a couple of other people who've appeared in it, and essentially is "The One From The Inbetweeners with Gelled Hair Goes To A Festival" and is very definitely aimed at that audience.

It isn't great, or even good, but it does pick up a bit for the final hour and there are enough laughs (just) to stick with it once you've started. The IMDB rating of 5.9/10 is probably fair. Lots of it was actually filmed at the 2017 Leeds Festival, so just up the road from us which added a bit of local interest.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Martian.

One of the downsides of having an MSc. In an astronomy related field, and a Bachelors in planetary studies, is the constant need to pick scientific fault, and this film provides plenty of opportunities for that...

But the Martian visuals are great, and you end up kind of rooting for the poor bloke, so...

6/10.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Sahara on YouTube. It was filmed in 1943 and has Humphrey Bogart in it. It's about an American tank crew in the desert who pick up some British and colonial soldiers, and then a couple of POWs and then drive down to a spring, where they fight off hoards of Germans.

Top Bottom