What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
1hr39m of your life never to be returned. With your close connections to the good Lord he might grant you an extension to cover the time lost. The one set in Vietnam has to be the worst for me. Steven Berkoff in that one laying the foundations of his pension pot.

Got to say, I enjoyed them both. Last Blood less so to be fair, but you don't really get hyper macho films like those these days; whether or not that's a good thing is a different matter altogether. Also I don't think it's a spoiler given the title to say that Last Blood was a fitting end to the series.

but you don't really get hyper macho films like those these days; whether or not that's a good thing is a different matter altogether.
Its a bad thing. I watched "Magnum Force" last night and enjoyed it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Two Popes. Very good. Two masters of their craft making the most of a strong script, clean, effective direction, and some breathtaking locations. With some cracking LOLs along the way. Mucho bueno - a comfortable 8/10.

Smudge

Veteran
The Beguiled, the 2017 version with Colin Farrell.
It was alright i suppose, but not a patch on the 1971 Clint Eastwood original.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... possibly QTs wierdest movie. No plot to speak of, just a series of events and flashbacks. Whilst enjoyable, I spent most of the movie wondering what the point of it all was... then, right at the very end, all comes clear. After the tiresome Hateful Eight (IMO), I wasn't expecting much but I enjoyed this a lot.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The Foreigner on Netflix. A 60 year man wanting to find the terrorists responsible for the innocent death of his daughter. Too much violence for my liking. The film is based in the UK and N.Ireland but very much Hollywood action style.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Foreigner on Netflix. A 60 year man wanting to find the terrorists responsible for the innocent death of his daughter. Too much violence for my liking. The film is based in the UK and N.Ireland but very much Hollywood action style.
Jackie Chan v The IRA sounds much better.

Even Pierce Brosnan's dodgy Gerry Adams can't spoil it, excellent entertainment. :smile:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Jackie Chan v The IRA sounds much better.

Even Pierce Brosnan's dodgy Gerry Adams can't spoil it, excellent entertainment. :smile:
To be honest, I don't look at actor's names or directors when I watch a film. :rolleyes:

Smudge

Veteran

I like the sound of that... Stuck it in my list.

just watched that myself... never seen a Jumanji film before so maybe i should've watched the previous one first. As you say, light hearted fun.
Watched the original last night. Still good, “Jumanji, welcome to the jungle” cued for a re-watch as only saw it on a silly airline seat screen which does no film justice

gbb

Legendary Member
A Quiet Place ...on Netflix.
OMG, moderately slow starter but it had me completely.
Aliens have wreaked havoc on earth, they rely entirely on sound...and kill instantly anything that makes a noise. A survivor family battle the odds, dads effort to find a solution is so close, but he never realised it.
Had me completely, hardly any talking but the suspense made up for it.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A Quiet Place ...on Netflix.
OMFG, moderately slow starter but it had me completely.
Aliens have wreaked havoc on earth, they rely entirely on sound...and kill instantly anything that makes a noise. A survivor family battle the odds, dads effort to find a solution is so close, but he never realised it.
Had me completely, hardly any talking but the suspense made up for it.
there was a comedian on Radio4 the other day ranting about the audio description of A Quiet Place... can't find it for the life of me, but it was very funny. Apparently it's one film that really doesn't lend itself to audio description.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We watched "the King" about Prince Hal's growing into his responsibilities as Henry V. It covers a similar narrative to Henry IV part one and two and Henry V, but isn't an adaptation of Shakespeare bh any means. The dialogue is very play-like and it would certainly have worked on stage, but it looked great visually on screen so is cinematic as well. The battle and fight scenes are scrappy and violent brawls not elegant fencing and I reckon authentic. Hey, even the stars wear helmets in battle ! Sir John Falstaff, a fictional character, taken from the Bard's version but here he is the cynical and jaded soldier rather than the clown. As well as being a great story and great drama, it challenges with questions of power, responsibility, and who is pulling the strings and why. One of the very best films I've seen in a long time. It is a slow film for some, but for me the pace fits the story perfectly

For me I give it 9 or even 10/10 - tremendous !

Last edited:
Top Bottom