What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jojo Rabbit. The most intriguing cast list I have seen in a long time, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, Rebel Wilson, Stephen Merchant, Alfie Allen and the director, a Maori Jew playing Hitler. I enjoyed it, a very humorous lesson in how easily people are manipulated by such simple devices as conspiracy theories.
Several film critics have labelled the film a retread of "The Producers", the two films have but one thing in common, nazis, a comedy Hitler and swastikas, it is a lame comparison.
Elsa; “You’re not a Nazi.” Jojo; “I’m massively into swastikas.”
View attachment 503968
Stephen Merchant admiring a 10 year old boys Hitler poster.

I found it a very thoughtful film about the indoctrination and de-indoctrination of children. Little in common with The Producers who only added the Nazi link for a cheap tasteless gag ( which was the whole point of it ).
In JoJoRabbit, the Nazis are ubiquitous as they were, and stupid, mundane, ridiculous, camp and terrifying. They kill people and steal childhoods.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I thought Rogue One was pretty good, except they over-egged it towards the end. It was a bit like those old suicide mission war films.
that's what's so great about it... none of the 'force' nonsense, just good old fashioned espionage. Solo's not bad either. That's just a heist movie.

Is BBC supposed to be in your post?... makes more sense without it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
that's what's so great about it... none of the 'force' nonsense, just good old fashioned espionage. Solo's not bad either. That's just a heist movie.

Is BBC supposed to be in your post?... makes more sense without it.
No, my smart phone has Tourett's Syndrome. It keeps inserting BBC randomly into my posts.

Smudge

Veteran
A Twelve Year Night on Netflix......Set in Uruguay in the 70's, during the military dictatorship. This is the story of 3 political prisoners that were tortured and kept in solitary confinement for 12 years.
Brilliant movie that was both powerful and horrific.

Smudge

Veteran
Kong Skull Island.
Not heard of this one out of all the King Kong movies and was expecting it to be naff. But it was actually pretty enjoyable, if a little cheesy in places.

Bill Gates

An Eye for an Eye. On Netflix

A male nurse has a new patient at the care home where he is working. The new patient is a drug lord who is suffering a debilitating condition. In sub titles but keeps you on your toes to the end.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Parasite" - the Oscar winning Korean film. Very very good indeed. Has an Ealingesque black comedy feel to it, rather than it being a "psychological thriller". Highly recommended

ozboz

Guru
I watched a documentary film called Bicycle on Amazon Prime, It was ok giving a bit of ab insight of the development of bikes and they way that some hope the use of bikes may grow , Chris Boardman for one

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I watched a documentary film called Bicycle on Amazon Prime, It was ok giving a bit of ab insight of the development of bikes and they way that some hope the use of bikes may grow , Chris Boardman for one
I watched that too. I really enjoyed it. There's another one there about the London Edinburgh London (that's also the title) audax which is interesting.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Stewart Copeland on Drums. BBC 4 documentary.
It’s very interesting, following the evolution of drumming in popular music.
I had never really thought about the invention of the drum kit or set as he kept calling it. And the variety of ways to play it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001y8k

There’s Bass and Guitar episodes too

Edit. Sorry this should be in the TV thread not the film one.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In the Loop - the movie version of The Thick of It, and unlike most British films based on successful tv comedy shows, it's every bit as good as the original, with a tight script, some great performances, plenty of laughs, and the tour de force you'd expect from Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Pottymouth Tucker.

Top Bottom