What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Seen that already and yes very good , not sure what we will be watching today yet ?

Sticking with Disney re-makes, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are also both excellent. Aladdin in particular, as it actually does something a bit different, whereas Beauty and the Beast is pretty much a shot for shot remake.

Swerve Dumbo though. Tim Burton will always hold a special place in my heart, but good lord he shouldn't be allowed near remakes. See also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I realise now that I've seen all the 'live' Disney remakes. Which I promised myself I wouldn't do because they're shameless cash ins and talking animals freak me out a bit. Damnit...

On a Korean binge at the moment,watched the Chaser this week(through my fingers at times !) and tonight's offering is The Handmaiden by Park Chan-wook.
This could have been a classic, but ends up being a mish mash of arthouse violence, shame!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@AndyRM I like the old Sword in the stone and other similar aged classics but you get to a stage where you can almost say it word for word .

We watched the latest Aladdin e couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it as well .

Will have to see what takes our fantasy when we look down the list .

Not a great lover of Charlie I am afraid .

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We have been watching "Anne with an e" on Netflix. We are on episode 5 now and will probably carry on watching it tonight as nothing worth watching on tv. The weather is playing havoc with reception so we can't get itv and many other channels, just BBC.
must of the stuff i watch features people punching, shooting, shouting and double crossing each other... Anne with an E is the antidote to all of that. It's pure escapism, utterly charming with some great characters. Purists complain that it strayed too far from the novels, but I've not read those so I'm not too bothered.

[edit] ...and the What TV thread is thattaway >>>>>> ^_^

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The duelists - First movie of R.Scott. It might just be his best. Carradine and Keitel are both fantastic but the real star is cinematography. You could take out a still from almost any scene and pass it as a work of old master. Shot extensively during golden hour it evokes Barry Lyndon or Days of Heaven with its pastoral portrayal of Napoleonic France.

View: https://youtu.be/9e6XE4E0Rvk

AndyRM

XOXO
Drugstore Cowboy - 9/10

As a big Gus Van Zant fan, I'm not sure how this passed me by until now. Easily one of the finest films I've seen about addiction, featuring an outstanding cast led by a mesmerising Matt Dillon. It's beautifully shot, excellently paced and while it lacks, perhaps, the devastating impact of Requiem for a Dream it's a gritty, accurate and honest take on the realities of life as an addict.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Rocketman.
I enjoyed it more than Bohemian Rhapsody. It plays far more fast and loose with the facts but it makes for a better film.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unforgiven.

Moody, gritty, western thriller. And what a cast! Gene Hackman, one of my favourite actors, is sneering and casually nasty, Richard Harris is cocky and quickly brought down to size, Morgan Freeman turns out to be too worldly wise, and Clint is trying to be the better person and failing miserably. Just brilliant.

9/10.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Unforgiven.

Moody, gritty, western thriller. And what a cast! Gene Hackman, one of my favourite actors, is sneering and casually nasty, Richard Harris is cocky and quickly brought down to size, Morgan Freeman turns out to be too worldly wise, and Clint is trying to be the better person and failing miserably. Just brilliant.

9/10.
One of those rare films in any genre that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best from any genre.

Top Bottom