What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Becky - 5/10

Fairly middle of the road home invasion film, only Kevin James is a bad guy for a change, and he's convincing in the role too unlike other actors who've tried to go the hard-man route after a life time of comedy (Vince Vaughn for example). It's puddle deep, and unintentionally funny in places which is jarring, but helped by a few inventively gory scenes and all round decent performances.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to work out where I'd seen Apex before - a wrestler turned actor who's been 'a massive guy' in a few things I've enjoyed. He's not much more than that, but his sheer size is impressive enough.

johnblack

Über Member
The Dead don't die. Utterly pointless, great cast just tossing about.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
We’ve been seeing to the kids‘ education.

Started with The Goonies, and now working our way through the Back To The Future films (one left to watch).

Next up possibly ET, Indiana Jones (1-3 only, Crystal Skull was rubbish), Flight of the Navigator, maybe Short Circuit.

Then not sure what. Suggestions?

The kids are loving the ones we’ve watched so far. They’re too young for Jaws, by the way.

Adam4868

Guru

Started with The Goonies, and now working our way through the Back To The Future films (one left to watch).

Next up possibly ET, Indiana Jones (1-3 only, Crystal Skull was rubbish), Flight of the Navigator, maybe Short Circuit.

The kids are loving the ones we’ve watched so far. They’re too young for Jaws, by the way.
My kids favourite was Uncle Buck...probally laughed more at me laughing at it when young.But have grown to appreciate it !

Rogue Male. 1976 TV film version with Peter O Toole. There is supposed to be a Hollywood remake soonish with .Benedict Cumberbatch

Eziemnaik

Über Member

Stand by me
Spinal tap
Princess bride
Gremlins
Lost boys

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
This got delivered yesterday. I needed cheering up.
threads-special-edition-uk-exclusive-remastered-edition-dvd.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Changeling - begins with the words on screen: This is a true story. Not 'based on' or any of that mealy-mouthed nonsense. No. This Happened.

Which turns out to be pretty extraordinary as the thing unfolds. Essentially Angeline Jolie comes back from work to find her 9 year old son missing. Five months later the Los Angeles police tell her they've found him - imagine her relief...until they deliver the boy, who is not her son. Their efforts to make her 'admit her mistake' (thereby avoiding their culpability) - despite the fact that the found boy is not only circumcised, where hers was not, but is a good 3" shorter ('his spine could have contracted') - culminate in her being committed to a psychopathic ward at the sole behest of a police captain. I won't spoil the ending, but it is a gobsmacking story, well told. A good solid workmanlike 8/10 for director Clint and Ms AJ.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Another vote for The Princess Bride. My only gripe with it is I wasn't a kid when it was released.

and Last Action Hero... another one i was had been made when i was much much younger. It's got a 15 rating but i reckon it's fine for 11 years upwards. Charles Dance is a brilliant villain and Arnie does a great send up of the whole action hero genre.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Death Goes to School (1953)... a middle of the road whodunnit starring Gordon Jackson as the police inspector. I wouldn't recommend it but if you fancy whiling away an hour watching a silly old movie, it's entertaining enough.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Another vote for The Princess Bride. My only gripe with it is I wasn't a kid when it was released.

and Last Action Hero... another one i was had been made when i was much much younger. It's got a 15 rating but i reckon it's fine for 11 years upwards. Charles Dance is a brilliant villain and Arnie does a great send up of the whole action hero genre.
The two films that stand out for me - the ones that enthralled both my daughters - were, first, aged maybe 5-8, something like that, Spirited Away; and, second, a few years later, The Blues Brothers. The former began for #1 a passion for all things Korean that has never waned, getting on for 20 years later. The latter, well, it's just the mayhem isn't it? What kid doesn't love senseless destruction on a grand scale.

The music's pretty good too.

Top Bottom