What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If we are talking The Princess Bride it would be a shame not to mention a love letter and homage to it, meaning Stardust - just as good movie, with fantastic turn from De Niro

That's a good fun film, wtih DeNero playing the camp pirate captain brilliantly - possibly his first comedy role? And its got both Clare Daines and Michelle Pfeiffer in it so that gets my vote for a start

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Some excellent suggestions already. I’ll add Time Bandits (my brother was obsessed with that film when he was a kid),
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Dougal and the Blue Cat, which is one of Mark Kermode’s favourites, apparently.
The Pink Panther films, maybe?

Time Bandits is certainly one of my favourites

Reactions: gbb

Adam4868

Guru
Personally I don't think there's much of a middle ground with Spike Lee. I really enjoyed BlacKkKlansmann, and a lot of his other films (25th Hour is a favourite), but then he does stuff like the Oldboy remake, which is unforgivably bad.
I refuse to even watch the remakes of a lot of films,the likes of Oldboy would be impossible to better ! Let the Right one in is another that springs to mind.
With the likes of Spike Lee I feel almost you have to like his stuff,to be fair there's quite a lot I did like...same with Scorcesse and the Irishman which I though was far too long and overated.
Rant over ^_^

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Da 5 Bloods - with the exceptcion of the boat and chicken scene (which was brilliant and more stressful than all the combat later altogether) I have found it dreadful. Even The Wire regulars did not lift it up (Shieeeeeeeeeet). I liked the central Idea of the movie - just as our memory is selective so is history paintbrushed by the powers that be.
Overlong, overblown, not funny, not serious
I am baffled by reviews, with top marks not uncommon - it is almost as bad as Oldboy
Btw 25h is great, Do the right thing is one of my fav all time, Clockers is underrated gem

AndyRM

XOXO
Rampage - 6/10

I can't quite believe I'm rating this so highly, or that I actually quite enjoyed it, since it's a Uwe Boll film and those are usually total disasters. This, however, is pretty good. It's nothing new (a guy loses his mind and goes on a killing spree), but the script is decent and believable, it's well acted and the action sequences are suitably frenetic. It's horribly shot, shaky and at times nauseating, but that does fit with the style of the film and story.

Drive.
Ryan Goslin ( or maybe Jake Gyllenhaal, sometimes it is hard to tell)
For a movie about gangsters, car chases, mob heists and gory knife fights it has a wonderfully slow, measured pace and despite the fantastic soundtrack it felt really quiet.
Surprised I missed this one in 2011 but worth the wait.

gbb

Legendary Member
Lucy is on Film4.
One of my all time favourites.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Charlie Says. It's a true story about a psychologist who works with three of Charles Manson's devotees who are still in prison (except for one who died inside) and her attempts to make them understand the wrong they did (murder on Manson's instructions) and stop being so brainwashed. Something incredible happens I'm not going to reveal when but it came as a bit of a shock to us watching it.

stephec

Legendary Member
Zombeavers.

A group of teens head to a remote house for the weekend, but the local beaver population has been infected by a barrel of toxic waste. Low budget is probably the best description, still quite hilarious though.

5/10.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Flash Gordon (1980)

Classic film with huge plot holes, bad acting and a fantastic soundtrack. Max von Sydow and Brian Blessed steal the show. The female character, Dale, goes from scurrying behind Flash to protect her and turning cartwheel karate kicks to beat up trained(?) bodyguards the next. Flash's voice is obviously dubbed throughout. Also stars Peter Wyngard of Department S fame although you'd never know it except for the voice as he wears a gold mask throughout - he is funnily evil; and I for one wish his role had been made bigger.

Some classic one liners ('Gordon's alive!' 'This Ming is a psycho!' 'What do you mean, "Flash Gordon approaching"?' 'Flash! Flash! I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!')

The kids loved watching the film. It's kitsch, camp and very 1980s. Loved it!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Please forgive me... "The Grey" with typecast Liam Neeson.

Let's just say it was more of a struggle to watch this to the end than the struggle portrayed in it. Is is really bad to say I was pleading out loud for the wolves to just finish everyone off so the film could end?

I would say the premise of the film is relatively promising in a simple way (well it's better than many other storylines from other Hollywood riff raff) but the implementation... yikes! So cheesy. No character development, completely unrealistic situations (in not a good or entertaining way). And the ending? Someone thought they were being artsy fartsy. I'm laying a bet right now there were multiple endings shot, and this one was the worst but for some reason they had to go ahead with it.

You have been warned. 1 out of 10 for me.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Please forgive me... "The Grey" with typecast Liam Neeson.

Let's just say it was more of a struggle to watch this to the end than the struggle portrayed in it. Is is really bad to say I was pleading out loud for the wolves to just finish everyone off so the film could end?

I would say the premise of the film is relatively promising in a simple way (well it's better than many other storylines from other Hollywood riff raff) but the implementation... yikes! So cheesy. No character development, completely unrealistic situations (in not a good or entertaining way). And the ending? Someone thought they were being artsy fartsy. I'm laying a bet right now there were multiple endings shot, and this one was the worst but for some reason they had to go ahead with it.

You have been warned. 1 out of 10 for me.
I liked it and thought it was one of Neeson's better films.

Two nights ago (not last night for obvious reasons) we watched Mr. Jones and that is an education and a half. To see people so starving (Ukraine) a housefull of orphans are eating the flesh from their dead brother brings home to you the reality of Stalin's extreme cruelty which makes Hitler look like a Boris Johnson-level buffoon. The film Mr. Jones should be essential viewing during history lessons.

Top Bottom