What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We watched "ZZ Top: that little ol' band from Texas"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9015306/
It's a documentary about the story of said band, who've amazingly been going with the same line-up for 50 years.
It was a joy to watch, and was a real movie rather than a mere documentary. They'd cut in loads of archive footage, not just of the band, but of Texas in the 60s etc, cut with interviews of the band members, and others who they'd worked with, a few animations to help the story along, and some great music, theirs and other blues or psychedelic bands they'd been influenced by.

Whilst I like ZZ top, I'm not really a fan as such, so it's something to enjoy for anyone vaguely interested in music

As I indicated above, it's watchable as a film in its own right

Highly recommended !

My all time favourite band.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Fugitive - it might be pushing 30 years old now, but it is still a rip roaring yarn of a wronged man getting justice. Marvelous. 9/10

Adam4868

Guru
Watched Borg v McEnroe the other night,I enjoyed it in a light hearted way.Forgot how much I liked that period of tennis !
I'd give it 7/10
Last night I watched A Field in England by Ben Wheatley.Seen it before and it doesn't dissapoint.Think it's brilliant in a trippy way !
9/10

figbat

Slippery scientist
Ant-man and The Wasp. Enjoyed the first one and this was OK but it did make a lot of reference to another MCU film that we haven’t watched so is probably best watched according to the MCU timeline rather than as a stand-alone sequel.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We watched "ZZ Top: that little ol' band from Texas"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9015306/
It's a documentary about the story of said band, who've amazingly been going with the same line-up for 50 years.
It was a joy to watch, and was a real movie rather than a mere documentary. They'd cut in loads of archive footage, not just of the band, but of Texas in the 60s etc, cut with interviews of the band members, and others who they'd worked with, a few animations to help the story along, and some great music, theirs and other blues or psychedelic bands they'd been influenced by.

Whilst I like ZZ top, I'm not really a fan as such, so it's something to enjoy for anyone vaguely interested in music

As I indicated above, it's watchable as a film in its own right

Highly recommended !
It’s a good documentary.
My opinion of the band increased hugely from the 1980s women and hotrods image.
The 3 guys appear very down to earth and are clearly superb musicians.
How do you get such a sound from two guitars and a drummer.

Gets better every time!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It’s a good documentary.
My opinion of the band increased hugely from the 1980s women and hotrods image.
The 3 guys appear very down to earth and are clearly superb musicians.
How do you get such a sound from two guitars and a drummer.

Even the seemingly sexist imagery of their videos shows a lowly garage mechanic being chosen /picked up by the exotic looking girls, rather than the middle aged band members themselves on the pull in the more dodgy way common at the time

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Back to the Future

I watched this last night again after watching it with my kids about 10 years ago. I recently bought a projector so watched it in its full glory on a two and a half metre screen in my back garden (I really recommend if you can do this as it is like a mini-cinema like experience). Whenever I watch a really enjoyable film, I can't help but to think I envy the people who watch it for the first time!

Anyway, time does not diminish this; I think I truly appreciated it more from cinematography point of view, the quirky story line and the little clues (I love the sign changing from "Twin Pines Mall" to "Lone Pine Mall" and why that happened.) For me, truly a classic. Perhaps you could argue there are a few plot lines that are a bit shaky (I mean, why would only parts of a person disappear from a photo?) But for entertainment value... you can't do much more in my opinion....

An extremely solid 10/10.

oh, and an fyi: I had a young kid at work, and I happened to make a knocking motion with my hand and utter "Helloooo, McFly?" and he looked at me blankly. i had to explain to him where this came from. And then to make matters worse, he told me he "didn't watch really old movies...". Pah he is missing out!

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
he told me he "didn't watch really old movies...". Pah he is missing out!
My eldest refuses to watch anything made before 2000. Fool.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Dheepan - AKA you can take out a tiger out of a jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of a tiger. A Tamil Tiger commando escapes from Sri Lanka with his makeshift family, only to find himself in a middle of another war in french ghetto. Husband, wife and daughter struggle, in their own ways, to adjust their lives to a foreign languange and customs.
Audiard's movie has been criticised by leftwing press as painting racist picture of life in banlieue, which is balls, if anything the best, most humane and touching parts of the film can be found in daily interactions of ghetto's dwellers.
As (also misunderstood) ending shows, it is impossible for some to change their destiny, no matter how hard they try.
Beautifully shot and acted, Dheepan is one of these rare movies which are both great entertainment and food for thought
5/5

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've watched a couple of the 80's biggest action movies recently, both showing on the telly.

Cobra, starring Sly Stallone

Commando, starring Arnie

Well, they certainly don't make them like that any more, although they're still hugely entertaining nonsense. An almost limitless supply of bad guys despatched in increasingly imaginative ways by our heroes despite weapons drills that would have @Drago choking on his quinoa.
Arnie gets the best line (I let him go) :okay:

stephec

Legendary Member
I've watched a couple of the 80's biggest action movies recently, both showing on the telly.

Cobra, starring Sly Stallone

Commando, starring Arnie

Well, they certainly don't make them like that any more, although they're still hugely entertaining nonsense. An almost limitless supply of bad guys despatched in increasingly imaginative ways by our heroes despite weapons drills that would have @Drago choking on his quinoa.
Arnie gets the best line (I let him go) :okay:
Top class, I've lost count of the number of times that I've see Commando and it makes me laugh every time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hercules.

In essence it's Dwayne Johnson in a wig, all big, buff and swole, killing lots of people with a sword, and a 914 year old Ian McShane even more implausibly leaping about like an ancient Greek death Ninja. John Hurt is in it, most definitely not dead but probably wishing he was, it's that bad.

It's worth seeing just to witness how enormous Johnson is, but otherwise there's little to recommend it.

3/10.

Top Bottom