What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Wind Rises - Studio Ghibli is at its finest, IMO when dealing with slice of life pictures, true heirs to Ozu. This semi-biography of Jiro Horikoshi, man behind the design of groundbraking Zero fighter, is a great mash up of genre, which in less skilled hands would not work. We have a tear jerker love story, fantasy bits reminescent of Porco Rosso and a portrait of Japan during the upheaval of 20's and 30's.
The film has been criticised for its sympathetic portrait of main characters, raising a question to what degree can we separate the an engineer or an artist from the use of his design/product/work of art.
Currently my top three Ghibli movies
5/5

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Back to the Future

I watched this last night again after watching it with my kids about 10 years ago. I recently bought a projector so watched it in its full glory on a two and a half metre screen in my back garden (I really recommend if you can do this as it is like a mini-cinema like experience). Whenever I watch a really enjoyable film, I can't help but to think I envy the people who watch it for the first time!

Anyway, time does not diminish this; I think I truly appreciated it more from cinematography point of view, the quirky story line and the little clues (I love the sign changing from "Twin Pines Mall" to "Lone Pine Mall" and why that happened.) For me, truly a classic. Perhaps you could argue there are a few plot lines that are a bit shaky (I mean, why would only parts of a person disappear from a photo?) But for entertainment value... you can't do much more in my opinion....

An extremely solid 10/10.

oh, and an fyi: I had a young kid at work, and I happened to make a knocking motion with my hand and utter "Helloooo, McFly?" and he looked at me blankly. i had to explain to him where this came from. And then to make matters worse, he told me he "didn't watch really old movies...". Pah he is missing out!

I've seen it countless times and it's possibly my favourite movie (all three of them), but never picked up the twin pines/lone pine thing... i must pay more attention. I think Part 2 has got the best ending in the history of cinema... it's a proper WTF moment, right out of the twilight zone.

I've known people who won't watch B&W movies, or films with subtitles, or musicals :wacko:... they know nothing. Leave them be.

AndyRM

XOXO
Assassin's Creed - 2/10

A friend of mine is really into the games this is based on and told me to avoid it. Ignoring him, I watched it anyway.

Given the source material, I don't understand how the creators ended up making such a dull and uninteresting film. Another one to file in Michael Fassbender's catalogue of terrible films, which I reckon must outnumber his good ones by now; there really isn't a middle ground with him.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot - 8/10

I vaguely remembered hearing about this a couple of years ago, but I don't think it ever got a UK release. Despite the ridiculous title, this is a really effective study of loss, pain, regret and betrayal. It reminded me in a way of Big Fish, only considerably more melancholy. Well worth a watch, especially if you're a Sam Elliott fan - he's absolutely perfect.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Tango and Cash.

A plot worthy of Shakespeare. Top drawer acting to make Sir john Gieulgud weep tears of joy. Violence, wisecracking, and FUBAR - it has everything! A genuine, card carrying, modern classic.

11/10.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, my "like" is for the sheer poetry of your review; I thought the film itself was shyte

Hell or High Water.
Rural Texas bank robbery road movie with a great cast (Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine), intelligent plot and very atmospheric. Fabulous scene stealing from the elderly waitress in "What Don't You Want" diner scene.

mustang1

Guru
The Head Hunter - 9/10

I watched this having seen it recommended by John Squires, editor of Bloody Disgusting, as I'd initially dismissed it as a weird looking Predator rip off from the poster.

I'm glad I got over that, as this is an absolute masterpiece of indie horror, the atmosphere, practical effects, sound design and central performance all come together perfectly to create a tense, effective and absorbing film. We watch one guy throughout, who is a sort of super human hunter who guards a castle from various monsters, but lives outside the city walls. Dungeons and Dragons this is not though, and there are no cackling witches or weird lore for no reason, this is straight up all about the guy and his ultimate quest for revenge against what killed his daughter.

It was made for just $30,000 and embarrasses films made for vast amounts more, it really is that good.

I thought that was a movie about employment. Many years ago some egotistical guy told me he was looking for a job then got head-hunted.
Me: oh yeah nice, how did the hunter find you?
Him: I called him up.
Me: You called him up?
Him: Yeah, I left him a voicemail then he called me back.
Me: So you made the first contact?
Him: Yeah, but he called me back so that means I got head-hunted.

mustang1

Guru
Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation

Good light hearted Sunday evening action and good movie locations (the plot and how everything happens just in the nick of time can be coma-inducing but if you can get over that...)

Adam4868

Guru
Hell or High Water.
Rural Texas bank robbery road movie with a great cast (Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine), intelligent plot and very atmospheric. Fabulous scene stealing from the elderly waitress in "What Don't You Want" diner scene.
Watched that last night,can't say I was that impressed with it though.Maybe the scenery but that was about it.

Adam4868

Guru
I watched Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri the other night,great film if you've not seen it.Was my second viewing and well worth another watch.I could have sworn it was a Coen brothers film but apparently not.Sorry pointless trivia for myself 😁

Top Bottom