What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Revisited "The Brothers Grimsby" again.

Absolutely stupid and all the better for it, spent ages on Netflix looking for something decent to watch then this popped up again.

Got a REALLY low score on Rotten Tomatoes, but just what I needed to relax for an hour and a half, take your brain out and just enjoy it...

We watched that the other night. Peurile stupid, classist and poor taste but I laughed out loud and enjoyed it immensely

Drago

Legendary Member
Hell or High Water.
Rural Texas bank robbery road movie with a great cast (Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine), intelligent plot and very atmospheric. Fabulous scene stealing from the elderly waitress in "What Don't You Want" diner scene.
One of my favourite fillums. The final scene where Jeff Bridges faces Chris Pine just crackles with tension. It's a disgrace that Bridges, Pine, Birmingham and Foster didn't get oscars for that masterpiece.

You might also enjoy Wind River, written by the same bloke, another intensely compelling film to watch.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Raiders of the Lost Ark - the original and some might say best of the Indiana Jones films.

Carry On Cruising - not the strongest of the Carry On films, but infinitely better than the sorry mess that is Carry On Follow That Camel which was on earlier.

It's a strange one "Follow that Camel" as you have amongst the highest production values of the series, too talent like Phil Silvers as a guest star and yet it is amongst the worst of the series.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Sonatine - one of Kitano's earliest movies, one of his best as well. Depressed, aging yakuza goes into a lockdown mode in Okinawa's hinterland. Left to his own devices, he wrestles with his men, stages a folklore play, watches fireworks and is generally bored of life. Great humor, even better score and acting, sex and violence make it top 3 yakuza movies ever.

View: https://youtu.be/JCTyHEZYK50

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Strictly Ballroom.
full of flashy, crowd pleasing moves.
A very enjoyable Australian romp through the pomposity of ballroom dancing. As good today as it was 20 years ago.

Adam4868

Guru
The Shining...I've lost count the amount of times I've watched it but did again last night.Definately my favourite ever horror film,or films full stop ! Kubrick for me was a genius.11 out of 10.

GetFatty

Über Member
The Shining...I've lost count the amount of times I've watched it but did again last night.Definately my favourite ever horror film,or films full stop ! Kubrick for me was a genius.11 out of 10.
I've never got round to watching that and only recently read the book for the first time

SafetyThird

Watched Maleficent last night, not seen it before. Oh those cheekbones <3
Then followed up with the original tomb raider which is still an enjoyable romp and, well, it's very pretty :biggrin:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Midway.

Didn't get that far. Switched off after 10 minutes, absolute rubbish.

I assume you are referring to the
recent one - I've not seen it but it looked like utter shyte just from the trailers so I gave it the swerve

The 1976 Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda one is very good indeed however

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A channel 4 TV movie from 2015 titled Cyberbully and featuring Maisie Williams... quite possibly the best thing I've watched for a long time. Reading the reviews on the wikipedia page, one calls it An Inspector Calls, for the digital age. A worthy 10/10 from me.

Still available to watch on 4OD.

stephec

Legendary Member
Finally got round to giving The Irishman a go last night, I originally thought of doing two sessions but decided to just crack on with it.

Nice to see a mob film that isn't too full of gore, but it's way too long to hold my attention .

Probably best summed up as being a bit too self indulgent.

6/10.

SafetyThird

Scarface. Never seen it before but then there's so many supposedly classic films that, despite working in the industry, I've not seen.

I guess it's very much of it's time. He didn't seem to have a single redeeming feature so, while it was an interesting story, I didn't feel any sort of empathy for anyone. Not sure why it's quite so highly regarded.

Top Bottom