What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Flash Gordon" 1980

This is a film I'd never seen before, and I distinctly remember the trailers when it first came out. To be honest, it didn't appeal to me then, but with the fulness of time, a little 1980's nostalgia and Queen's score, I dutifully purchased a cheap blu ray and gave it a go.

Yeah... it's a no from me. It's just such a weird film. For 1980's standards, a boat load of money spent on it, but it comes out as completely hokey -but hokey not in a good way. The sets and costumes are amateur hour and quite frankly ridiculous (more in line with some 1970's Doctor Who sets and costumes, and they managed to do it on a fraction of the money spent). I will admit to chuckling at the bit were Dale Arden waves her hands and shouts out "Go Flash, go!", but that was about it. It was a struggle to watch it all the way through. Apparently it's become a bit of a cult classic, but can't say I see that much of an appeal in it. Mind you, it did also make me shout out "hey that's Peter Duncan from Blue Peter!"

2/10 (would have been 1/10 but I did manage to watch it to the end)

I loved it when I first saw it at the cinema - for me it's 10/10 of pure glorious fun.

stephec

Legendary Member
For bad you need to see the other version with only 1 letter difference, 1974
In the late eighties a mate joined a mail order video club, and I picked that one out of the catalogue for him.

He didn't know what it was and sat down to watch it with his mum. 🤣

Lost Horizon.
1973 musical remake of the Shangri-La tale. A truly awful film full of cringeworthy musical outburts. Easily made it into top100 worst ever movies and for many people it makes top 10.

"Flash Gordon" 1980

This is a film I'd never seen before, and I distinctly remember the trailers when it first came out. To be honest, it didn't appeal to me then, but with the fulness of time, a little 1980's nostalgia and Queen's score, I dutifully purchased a cheap blu ray and gave it a go.

Yeah... it's a no from me. It's just such a weird film. For 1980's standards, a boat load of money spent on it, but it comes out as completely hokey -but hokey not in a good way. The sets and costumes are amateur hour and quite frankly ridiculous (more in line with some 1970's Doctor Who sets and costumes, and they managed to do it on a fraction of the money spent). I will admit to chuckling at the bit were Dale Arden waves her hands and shouts out "Go Flash, go!", but that was about it. It was a struggle to watch it all the way through. Apparently it's become a bit of a cult classic, but can't say I see that much of an appeal in it. Mind you, it did also make me shout out "hey that's Peter Duncan from Blue Peter!"

2/10 (would have been 1/10 but I did manage to watch it to the end)

Brian Blessed at Vultan
Timothy (James Bond) Dalton as Prince Barin?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes. And Peter Duncan as an expendable.

Brian Blessed at Vultan
Timothy (James Bond) Dalton as Prince Barin?

Roadhouse

Top Gun meets Dukes of Hazzard in a corny tale of honour and courage deep behind enemy lines the pub door.

Patrick Swayzie didn't put baby in a corner and now he wants you to be nice until it's time to not be nice.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Have you seen Parasite? I thought that was superb! Not seen The Wailing, mind....
Yep, Parasite is a great movie and with its fantastic ending it makes the list. Nevertheless I think it is not even director's best film (that would be Mother and Memories of Murder) and Oscar, while well deserved feels token as a recognition of cinema outside of Hamburgerland.
My Super Official List of the Very Best Korean Movies:
The Wailing
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Memories of Murder
Mother
Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
Samaritan Girl
The Chaser
Parasite
My Sassy Girlfriend

Adam4868

Guru
Yep, Parasite is a great movie and with its fantastic ending it makes the list. Nevertheless I think it is not even director's best film (that would be Mother and Memories of Murder) and Oscar, while well deserved feels token as a recognition of cinema outside of Hamburgerland.
My Super Official List of the Very Best Korean Movies:
The Wailing
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Memories of Murder
Mother
Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
Samaritan Girl
The Chaser
Parasite
My Sassy Girlfriend
Good choices but you missed out The Handmaiden absolutely love Memories of Murder in a frustrating kind of way !

Top Bottom