What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Extra Ordinary.

An Irish comedy/horror about a driving instructor with paranormal talents, who helps a man whose daughter is taken by an ex rock star to use in a satanic ritual.
Quite a dry style of humour, and a very entertaining hour and a half.
6/10.
Blimey - harsh scoring system. Do you have any examples of a stephec 9? :smile:

(this film had passed me by - can't beat a quirky Oirish comedy! )

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Blimey - harsh scoring system. Do you have any examples of a stephec 9? :smile:

(this film had passed me by - can't beat a quirky Oirish comedy! )
It was decent enough, but seven and above is getting on for really good territory, and to get a nine you're talking of something like Where Eagles Dare.

Edit: and it also got to fall into the, 'would I watch it again?' category to earn a seven.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Red Sparrow, a cold war thriller. The story line is, a ballet dancer breaks her leg during a performance and afterwards is recruited to work for her Uncle who is something big in the KGB. Quite violent in a few parts, but a good watch

Midnight Sky. gotta get your expectations in order, meaning don't be picky about details or what's believable. it was good to sit with our 2 adult kids & watch a movie together. we usually travel, stay in a hotel & see movie in a theater on Christmas night. no traveling, no hotel & no eating out but at least we had this & each other

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"The Viceroy's House" - a dramatised account of the run-up to Indian independence and partition centred around Mountbatten's part in trying to attain the least violent outcome. In the end of course some 14 million were displaced and between hundreds of thousands and as many as two million killed in inter community violence. Excellent cast including Hugh Bollimore as Mountbatten, Gillian Anderson as Lady M. (her cut glass accent perfect), Simon Callow, Michael Gambon, Om Puri etc. The story is told with Mountbatten as the protagonist trying to reconcile the various Indian leaders, Jinna, Nerhu, Gandhi etc whilst seemingly unstoppable forces are tearing India apart. These leaders are clever, difficult, and not shown as villains nor fools, but it is Mountbatten's story being told rather than the tale of Indian' fight for independence - by this time they are pushing an open door of course. There is also a parallel story of a cross-faith potential love story between two of the palace staff. This just about avoids too much cliche and helps echo the schisms in the new nation(s) and its leaders. Worth pointing out that the writer and director is Indian, and descended of those who had directly suffered from the violence leading to partition, but this was the way she wanted to tell the story, centering it on Mountbatten, rather than from the Indian side. Historically the account is plausible, but I don't know the veracity of, say, the idea partition was partly cooked up pre-war by the British for not altogether honourable reasons. The supposed closeness of Jinna and Lady M doesn't get a mention either. If you're interested in a well acted, well told, lavishly filmed slice of history, this is pretty good

Maybe 8/10

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
"Flash Gordon" 1980

This is a film I'd never seen before, and I distinctly remember the trailers when it first came out. To be honest, it didn't appeal to me then, but with the fulness of time, a little 1980's nostalgia and Queen's score, I dutifully purchased a cheap blu ray and gave it a go.

Yeah... it's a no from me. It's just such a weird film. For 1980's standards, a boat load of money spent on it, but it comes out as completely hokey -but hokey not in a good way. The sets and costumes are amateur hour and quite frankly ridiculous (more in line with some 1970's Doctor Who sets and costumes, and they managed to do it on a fraction of the money spent). I will admit to chuckling at the bit were Dale Arden waves her hands and shouts out "Go Flash, go!", but that was about it. It was a struggle to watch it all the way through. Apparently it's become a bit of a cult classic, but can't say I see that much of an appeal in it. Mind you, it did also make me shout out "hey that's Peter Duncan from Blue Peter!"

2/10 (would have been 1/10 but I did manage to watch it to the end)

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
"Flash Gordon" 1980

This is a film I'd never seen before, and I distinctly remember the trailers when it first came out. To be honest, it didn't appeal to me then, but with the fulness of time, a little 1980's nostalgia and Queen's score, I dutifully purchased a cheap blu ray and gave it a go.

Yeah... it's a no from me. It's just such a weird film. For 1980's standards, a boat load of money spent on it, but it comes out as completely hokey -but hokey not in a good way. The sets and costumes are amateur hour and quite frankly ridiculous (more in line with some 1970's Doctor Who sets and costumes, and they managed to do it on a fraction of the money spent). I will admit to chuckling at the bit were Dale Arden waves her hands and shouts out "Go Flash, go!", but that was about it. It was a struggle to watch it all the way through. Apparently it's become a bit of a cult classic, but can't say I see that much of an appeal in it. Mind you, it did also make me shout out "hey that's Peter Duncan from Blue Peter!"

2/10 (would have been 1/10 but I did manage to watch it to the end)
Brian Blessed steals every scene he's in ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Two Guns. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg.

It's the worst film I've seen starring Washington but fairly typical of Wahlberg's erratic output. It gets a 6 from me......out of 20 and most of those points are from Paula Patton's dazzling performance.

Top Bottom