What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yep, Parasite is a great movie and with its fantastic ending it makes the list. Nevertheless I think it is not even director's best film (that would be Mother and Memories of Murder) and Oscar, while well deserved feels token as a recognition of cinema outside of Hamburgerland.
My Super Official List of the Very Best Korean Movies:
The Wailing
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Memories of Murder
Mother
Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
Samaritan Girl
The Chaser
Parasite
My Sassy Girlfriend

You're missing out the third part of the trilogy? Lady Vengeance is excellent.

Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy is absolutely pointless.

Adam4868

Guru
You're missing out the third part of the trilogy? Lady Vengeance is excellent.

Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy is absolutely pointless.
Im not a big lover of remakes in general bit some films shouldnt be touched ! Oldboy being one another one of the top of my head is Let the right one in.Class film that doesnt need to be Amercanised.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Lost Horizon.
1973 musical remake of the Shangri-La tale. A truly awful film full of cringeworthy musical outburts. Easily made it into top100 worst ever movies and for many people it makes top 10.
Even Burt Bacharach and Hal David's score was dire and reportedly led to the end of their songwriting partnership
Brian Blessed at Vultan
Timothy (James Bond) Dalton as Prince Barin?
...and Max Von-Sydow as... Max Von-Sydow :notworthy:

Borat - 10/10

Genuinely hilarious. If you get it, you'll love it. If you don't, it will leave you cold.
I'm 30m into this, and it's great! But I'm puzzled as to how many actors/stooges are in it. I know Giuliano was pranked, but a lot of the civilians look like they must have been partly in on the joke. Maybe ...

Anyone know for sure? And NO SPOILERs please :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
Spectre.

LoB really. Not so much a plot, more a series of set pieces strung together. Terrible weapons drills, an totally unrealistic weapons handling - the Glock 17 has an internal striker, there is no external hammer to 'click'as you cock and de-cock it. Total rubbish.

Interestingly though, Dave Bautistas double barreled automatic pistol is a real weapon, not something made up for the film.

The fight on the train between Daniel Craig and bautista was good though, and very remniscent of Moore fighting Jaws. Enjoyed that.

But all in all a bit sheet. Very slick and glossy, but somehow not very satisfying.

6/10.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - now 30 years old and showing its age. Always worth a watch for Alan Rickmans performance as the Sheriff, although it's difficult to overlook the many flaws - Robin lands in England under the white cliffs of Dover, then travels to Nottingham via Northumberland and North Yorkshire, or that the merry men appear to live in a medieval prototype for "Go Ape".
That said, switch your brain off and enjoy the show for an entertaining enough couple of hours.

stephec

Legendary Member
Two from me -

The Substitute 2

A teacher in a rough school is murdered by a gang of his pupils, so up steps his ex green beret/mercenary estranged brother who wangles himself into his brother's old job to get revenge: fisticuffs, knives, guns, and the good guy wins.

It's in no way connected to the first substitute film, but treat this review as for that one as well if you've not seen it.

5/10.

The Guernsey Literary Club and Potato Peel Pie Society

Without looking back at Netflix I think that's the correct title. The story of a book reading club formed during the nazi occupation, pretty much a love story, which isn't my normal sort of film. But as I didn't know that from reading the synopsis, and because I have an interest in that period, I gave it a go.

A writer goes to Guernsey after the war to write an article on them, and would you believe it, she falls in love with someone when she's already engaged to a US officer. Piss taking aside it's not a bad film, but not as good as Yanks when it comes to WWII romance.

6/10.

gbb

Legendary Member
Very good representations of the panorama they'd have seen (I'd guess), really quite realistic. It didn't set my world on fire but a good film, I've spent 2 hours watching much worse.

New Years Day morning I was shuffling through the tv before work and happened across '100 Degrees Below Zero'
Dear God, I watched it for 5 minutes and decided what a load of wooden dross it was. I wasnt going going to watch it anyway, work beckoned...but dear God, it really was a bad way to spend 5 minutes.

Top Bottom