What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Raid on Rommel.

What a L.O.B. Richard Burton should have spent less time reading the paycheque and more time reading the script. Very poor, even by the standards of his later work.

3/10.
Used a lot of offcuts from the much better movie of similar plot: Tobruk.
IRL the raid (operation agreement) was not a success.

gbb

Legendary Member
Wind River.

Directed by the same geezer that did Hell or High Water, and it shows. A cerebral, atmospheric thriller, punctuated with brief, but intense, moments of violence. Jeremy Renner surprises, very nicely underplaying the role of a Fish and Game warden assisting an FBI agent investigating murders in rural Wyoming.

A visual treat with a haunting score and a very fitting end.

9/10 - A real hidden gem.
Just about sums it up for me...brilliant film.
I had no idea, as is sometimes the case, you just browse, see something you think might be worth a punt on Netflix....it turns out to be a blinder. I almost want to watch it again.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Gilda (1946). I have heard a lot about this film and eventually got round to watching it last night. I was quite disappointed. The plot doesn't to go anywhere. Yes, Rita Heyworth is attractive, but that is not enough. Substitute Bacall for Heyworth, Heyworths hubby for Lazlo, Ford for Bogart and the "consortium" for the nazzzis. It is a poor man's Casablanca. There is even the comic staff in the club.

5/10

stephec

Legendary Member
The Woman in Black

Harry Potter finds a job after he leaves school and ends up in a fairly standard suspense by numbers, it just about managed to hold my attention, but the ending doesn't really tie up any loose ends in the plot.

5/10.

Lion for Lambs

Dinner time at Whipsnade zoo?
Robert Redford, Meryl Streep Tom Cruise + a bevvy of quality thespians in a heartfelt study of patriotism, war and social concsiousness.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Gilda (1946). I have heard a lot about this film and eventually got round to watching it last night. I was quite disappointed. The plot doesn't to go anywhere. Yes, Rita Heyworth is attractive, but that is not enough. Substitute Bacall for Heyworth, Heyworths hubby for Lazlo, Ford for Bogart and the "consortium" for the nazzzis. It is a poor man's Casablanca. There is even the comic staff in the club.

5/10
5/10 seems harsh. Obviously it's not a patch on Casablanca, but then how many films are? But the film noir photography is wonderful, and Rita Hayworth is just radiant. She can't act for nuts, and her 'co-star' has all the screen presence of a fish finger, but boy, what a presence! It's a privilege just to see her. Worth 7, surely? If not point something.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Two Headed Spy.

Finally managed to watch the entire film without being interrupted by a power cut.

A splendid, casually aloof performance from Jack Hawkins, who was one of my favourite actors. Suspenseful plot with a delicious twist at the end when Hawkins turns the tables very adroitly upon his accusers.

Great plot, brilliant acting, and it was made in an era in which the memory of WWII was still fresh, so the historical accuracy with uniforms, sidearms, etc, is first class.

8/10. Well worth seeking out.

Leaway2

Lycrist
5/10 seems harsh. Obviously it's not a patch on Casablanca, but then how many films are? But the film noir photography is wonderful, and Rita Hayworth is just radiant. She can't act for nuts, and her 'co-star' has all the screen presence of a fish finger, but boy, what a presence! It's a privilege just to see her. Worth 7, surely? If not point something.
No sorry, I'll stick with my rating for all the negatives you point out.

Top Bottom