What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The charge between them is palpable throughout, right from “I don't mind what you did; I mind the way you did it.”

Speaking of fluffed lines, I noticed to my amazement from the news clip that Nixon fluffed his, in taking the oath. In repeating the line "...to protect, preserve and defend the constitution..." he adds an 'and' between protect and preserve, which definitely isn't in the script. I've never seen it remarked on, and even googling didn't produce hits. I thought I must have misheard, but no, it's there alright - from about the one minute mark, for anyone who's interested.

Reminded me of when Neil Armstrong famously fluffed the first line spoken on the moon. He'd meant to say "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" which makes sense, not "small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" which doesn't, given that 'man' without an 'a' and 'mankind' are absolutely synonymous.

I suppose very few people notice/care about such things, but I find them interesting. :tongue:

But the second thing Armstrong said under his breath was the enigmatic phrase "good luck Mr Gorski"

Drago

Legendary Member
But the second thing Armstrong said under his breath was the enigmatic phrase "good luck Mr Gorski"
Sadly that is an urban myth, albeit a bloody funny one

stephec

Legendary Member
American Gangster

My attention span is normally a maximum of two hours, and I wasn't sure about Denzil Washington as a bad guy, but thought that I'd give it a go anyway.

Turns out it's a good film, another one to add to the list of films that I'd watch again.

7/10.

Pawn Sacrifice.
There seem to be lots of pawn movies out this year. This pawn movie is mostly set in 1970s and is about a Swedish plumber freedom loving American chess champion Bobby Fisher and his epic cold war chess match against evil Soviet chess machine Boris Spasky.
If you like pawn movies you will love this.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just watched The Captain on Amazon. A black and white film in German with subtitles.

The Captain (2017) - IMDb
Directed by Robert Schwentke. With Max Hubacher, Alexander Fehling, Sebastian Rudolph, Max Thommes. In the last moments of World War II, a young German soldier fighting for survival finds a Nazi captain's uniform. Impersonating an officer, the man quickly takes on the monstrous identity of the...

Plot
In the last weeks of the war a deserter finds an officer's uniform. Of course he tries it on and as he's modelling it, a soldier comes up, salutes and reports for duty. So he goes along with it and pretends to be an officer and things escalate from there. He gathers more deserters and orders them to join him on his mission to find looters and deserters and execute them. Of course everybody goes along with it because they don't want to admit they're deserters too. Things keep getting worse, war crimes and atrocities pile up. He kills 90 prisoners in a camp with a 20mm flak cannon. He then sends the SS guards away to find more criminals and while they're gone, he kills everyone in the camp.

I was watching this thinking it was a nice allegory about even innocent victims becoming corrupted by the evils of Nazism until the credits came up and my jaw hit the floor.

It's a true story. He was arrested by the Royal Navy in May 1945 and his crimes came to light.

Willi Herold - Wikipedia

Bloody hell!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hangover 3.
I loved part 1, hated part 2, so never got round to watching part 3.
Watched it last night and it had me laughing like a hyena.
They're not everyone's cup of tea but I do like the over the top, silly nonsence of it all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Personal_History_of_David_Copperfield

9/10. My favourite Dickens adaptation by a country mile, any format! And what a cast - even Uriah Heep was inspired.

Hard to believe we watched Death of Stalin last week by the same director . I think I love him!

simongt

Guru
Watched 'Outside the Wire' a few days ago. Interesting plotline with several chain-of-command paradoxes thrown in and the idea that a black android was percieved by it's creators as being less threatening in a potentially hostile situation than a white one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Raid on Rommel.

What a L.O.B. Richard Burton should have spent less time reading the paycheque and more time reading the script. Very poor, even by the standards of his later work.

3/10.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
"The Terminal" with Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
It was predictable, vaguely amusing but more often annoying, and lacked internal logic for the actions of the airport security man. 6/10

mustang1

Guru
Pawn Sacrifice.
There seem to be lots of pawn movies out this year. This pawn movie is mostly set in 1970s and is about a Swedish plumber freedom loving American chess champion Bobby Fisher and his epic cold war chess match against evil Soviet chess machine Boris Spasky.
If you like pawn movies you will love this.
Queen of Katwe is good too.

Top Bottom