What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sully.

Seen it a few times already but really like it.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Sound of metal - Riz Ahmed is great as deaf drummer, who finally is able to listen. Poignant ending 4/5
The Lie - story of a cold murder, with not so smart and rather predictable twist, nevertheless a good movie 3/5
Hateful 8 - rewatched it again, and it is clear to me Tarantino hasn't made a better movie (haven't seen Once...). As a bonus the soundtrack is Morricone's second best after The Mission. 5/5
Tigre Blanco - Bollywood's answer to Slumdog Millionaire 4/5

Adam4868

Guru
Sound of metal - Riz Ahmed is great as deaf drummer, who finally is able to listen. Poignant ending 4/5
The Lie - story of a cold murder, with not so smart and rather predictable twist, nevertheless a good movie 3/5
Hateful 8 - rewatched it again, and it is clear to me Tarantino hasn't made a better movie (haven't seen Once...). As a bonus the soundtrack is Morricone's second best after The Mission. 5/5
Tigre Blanco - Bollywood's answer to Slumdog Millionaire 4/5
I can't say Hateful 8 was that good for me...there again maybe I should give it a second viewing/chance.Watched once upon a time in Hollywood again recently and liked it even more.😁

Eziemnaik

Über Member
In a way it is the purest Tarantino movie since Reservoir Dogs - just a few guys and a shedevil wisecracking. Plus Walton Goggins who makes everything better :laugh:

The Vietnam War
4 part documentary series by Ken Burns.
I watched it to show my wife how to use her Ken Burns software ( pan and zoom over still photo to video). He is the master and at first she didnt even notice the still photos vs film shots.
As documentaries go, this is one of the best, detailed but never tedious, personal but never over emotional. It tells a big story from every angle.

stephec

Legendary Member
A couple from the last few days -

His House, a BBC film on Netflix.

An asylum seeking couple are released from a detention centre to a council house. On their boat journey their daughter drowns, and now she pops up in the new house to haunt them, then it gets weirder and weirder on the ghost front as all manner of people from back home appear, I'd love to know what the script writers were smoking.

4/10.

The Sum of all Fears

Working on the principle of it has to be good as Morgan Freeman's in it I gave this a go last night, and I was right as it's definitely an entertaining film.

7/10.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Black Book - Verhoeven's career in Hollywood was built upon unorthodox, rule breaking movies often verging on the edge of pastiche, but never boring. It took a return to his motherland for him to produce a "classic" Hollywood production. Black Book has little of RoboCop or Troopers in it but in a sense it is also director's best movie. Dealing with a period often clouded by national amnesia, it offers a perceptive picture of parts of Dutch society at the end of the WWII. 5/5

Durango Bay

DEAD PRESIDENTS (1995) (Amazon)

This was a bit different than I thought it was going to be. Any clips I had seen seems to indicate that it was going to be a heist film but it is a lot more ambitious than that in that it follows the protagonists from childhood to the climax taking in Vietnam and 60s militant black politics on the way. It probably bites off a bit more than it can chew but the ambition is admirable and there are some great scenes. Nearly great but pretty good anyway.

7.4/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Woman in Black

Harry Potter finds a job after he leaves school and ends up in a fairly standard suspense by numbers, it just about managed to hold my attention, but the ending doesn't really tie up any loose ends in the plot.

5/10.

We didn't make it to the end, despite Mrs PP loving the book and stage play

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Independence Day: Resurgence

Half the cast from the first film, half new faces. It was OK. No where near as good as the first film from 1996. I'd have switched it off after 15 minutes, but wife wanted to watch it.

I'm not surprised the studio failed to make the planned third film.

Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) still plays the best character in both films.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hunter Killer.

Dreadful, simply dreadful. Clearly Gerard Butler had confused the pay cheque with the script. Being tortured for 2 hours is preferable. A waste of time, life and electricity.

0/10.

Top Bottom