What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ode to Joy - Martin Freeman and Morena Bacarin. Dull. Got to a point where it had outlived its entertainment but you're so far in, you may as well see it to its denouement. The only thing worth looking at in the whole film is Morena Bacarin. If you like that sort of thing.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The Way on Amazon Prime
Martin Sheen, James McAvoy, Deborah Kara Unger and Yorick Van Wagininen
A tale of a father, (Martin Sheen) walking the pilgrimage Camino de Santiago, in memory of and carrying the ashes of his son, who died on the same walk. A pleasant evening's viewing, although for apparently walking 500 miles, all four walkers looked remarkable fresh at the end of it.

At least their backpacks looked slightly more believable than those carried by Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, in A Walk in Woods, (also on Amazon Prime), the night before. I get they are aging actors, but the director needed a kick in the goolies for the way they easily tossed them on and off their backs.

SheilaH

I wish i had

Shame.

Great film, but definitely hard work in that you have to concentrate, you have to listen to every word and you have to think. I had to pause it halfway to stop for a think.

Everything is explained throughout, but very fast and only once, so if you miss a key piece of the puzzle you are a bit screwed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Invasion Planet Earth on Prime - just don't bother - even cheaper budget than a Dr Who episode. Fairly new, and Toyah Wilcox must need the money to be in this. really rubbish.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Shame.

Great film, but definitely hard work in that you have to concentrate, you have to listen to every word and you have to think. I had to pause it halfway to stop for a think.

Everything is explained throughout, but very fast and only once, so if you miss a key piece of the puzzle you are a bit screwed.
Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't.
I think Nolan's ideas are bigger than his film making abilities.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Haven't seen it but on the general point I couldn't agree more. Every Nolan film I've seen has been top-heavy with pomposity and self-importance. They'll all have capsized and sunk without trace in 20 years, you mark my words.

SheilaH

I think if I hadn't been forewarned that the film was obscure, then I wouldn't have been paying such close attention and it would have pissed me off.

It was an unusual cinematic experience, certainly, but all the better for it. It seems an age since there has been an action film that didn't follow all the standard clichés. It felt like a film where you had to invest some work as a viewer, but the payoffs were the little moments of realisation once you applied the premise of the film to what was appearing on the screen. I really liked the fact that there were frequent strange events that didn't make sense at the time but you knew it was part of the puzzle (the lone silver car, the breathing masks, the fight in the turnstile)

Naturally I've come out of the film with a different view of Nolan than you (I don't know if I've seen any of his other films), whilst accepting that the film didn't work for you.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think if I hadn't been forewarned that the film was obscure, then I wouldn't have been paying such close attention and it would have pissed me off.

It was an unusual cinematic experience, certainly, but all the better for it. It seems an age since there has been an action film that didn't follow all the standard clichés. It felt like a film where you had to invest some work as a viewer, but the payoffs were the little moments of realisation once you applied the premise of the film to what was appearing on the screen. I really liked the fact that there were frequent strange events that didn't make sense at the time but you knew it was part of the puzzle (the lone silver car, the breathing masks, the fight in the turnstile)

Naturally I've come out of the film with a different view of Nolan than you (I don't know if I've seen any of his other films), whilst accepting that the film didn't work for you.
It's not unusual for Nolan, it's pretty much what he does.

try Inception, Memento, Interstellar, The Prestige.

The Way on Amazon Prime
Martin Sheen, James McAvoy, Deborah Kara Unger and Yorick Van Wagininen
A tale of a father, (Martin Sheen) walking the pilgrimage Camino de Santiago, in memory of and carrying the ashes of his son, who died on the same walk. A pleasant evening's viewing, although for apparently walking 500 miles, all four walkers looked remarkable fresh at the end of it.

At least their backpacks looked slightly more believable than those carried by Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, in A Walk in Woods, (also on Amazon Prime), the night before. I get they are aging actors, but the director needed a kick in the goolies for the way they easily tossed them on and off their backs.
The only walking movie I have made it more than 10 minutes through is
Wild with Reese Witherspoon.

Not what i expected at all, a firm 7/10.

(google just found me a whole list of candidates: https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/hiking-movies-outdoor-documentaries
The Way Back might be my next one! Or maybe BARKLEY MARATHONS ... )

postman

Legendary Member
News of the world,Tom Hanks I loved it,but of a softie really.I shouted at the telly when he went back and found Johanna tied up.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Greenland - Armageddon for covid gen. At least Armageddon had Willis and Buscemi. And a great song. Greenland has Butler who has charisma of a 3 day old coleslaw. Avoid
1/5
Wrong Turn - surprisingly entertaining slasher, with inbred Appalachians and high tempo.
3.5/5
Crazies - okish horror flick, 3/5

Drago

Legendary Member
Get Shorty.

The best Guy Ritchie film that Giy Ritchie never made

Hackman shows how versatile he is, Travolta shows how menacing a fat dancer in a wig can be, and we get a young James Gandolfini too. Throw in a halfway dedent plot and the rather delicious Rene Russo, and we get a surprisingly dedent fillum.

7/10.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Hands of Stone - a likeable, even if by the numbers, biopic of Roberto Duran. Hollywood's go to Latino guy - E.Ramirez despite being at least a size and a half too big to play Duran convinces as the boxer from Panama. De Niro is okish, at least doesn't annoy like in the most of his recent movies, Usher is surprisingly good as Sugar Ray and Ana de Armas is an eyecandy who can act as well.
3/5

Top Bottom