What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kind Hearts and Coronets

Was kind of surprised to see all kinds of warnings being displayed at the start of the film that it "reflected views and opinions of its' time that modern viewers could find offensive".

A lot is always made of Alec Guinness playing 9 parts but I thought the absolute star was Joan Greenwood who stole every scene.

Still a fantastic film, easily 8/10 - possibly a 9.
I'm glad that murder has at last been recognised as a bad thing that may offend some people. Did they provide a councelling hotline?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm glad that murder has at last been recognised as a bad thing that may offend some people. Did they provide a councelling hotline?
I think it was the "Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a n" line that did it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Driver.

The latest in the linenof late night Sony Movie Channel showing with lots of excitement but little plot. Ryan Reynolds is a geezer who drives a lot, in all sorts of implausible places and for reasons never fully explained.

Little in the way of redeeming features. In retrospect, I should have simply had an early night.

2/10.

Driver.

The latest in the linenof late night Sony Movie Channel showing with lots of excitement but little plot. Ryan Reynolds is a geezer who drives a lot, in all sorts of implausible places and for reasons never fully explained.
I caught 10 mins of the version with Ryan Gosling in (also on Sony Movie Channel). It was immensely stylish, and the brief shootout scene I watched was tense-and-bloody (would not make the CC top 10 shootouts poll). Good music too, somewhat overwhelming the mumble-core dialogue. Car chase was tedious (ironically). I was expecting the director to be Denis Villeneuve (of BladeRunner 299999) - but it isn't.

Think I'll make the effort to watch it properly one day. I quite like style-over-substance if it's done well.

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I caught 10 mins of the version with Ryan Gosling in (also on Sony Movie Channel). It was immensely stylish, and the brief shootout scene I watched was tense-and-bloody (would not make the CC top 10 shootouts poll). Good music too, somewhat overwhelming the mumble-core dialogue. Car chase was tedious (ironically). I was expecting the director to be Denis Villeneuve (of BladeRunner 299999) - but it isn't.

Think I'll make the effort to watch it properly one day. I quite like style-over-substance if it's done well.
You mean Drive I think:okay:
Great movie, if you get a chance watch Pusher movies by the same director

Drago

Legendary Member

Thats it, Ryan O'Neill. It was so crap it triggered a bout of amnesia.

Drago

Legendary Member
Upgrade.

Chap is left quadraplegic following a violent assault, and is approached by a Steve Jobs type who want ps to implant a chip that will help him walk again. The implant works, but the chip is hyper intelligent and communicates with the hero, and takes over his body during tactical situations.

In some ways a bit cheesy, but the plot has some genuinely decent twists, with a real corker at the climax, and then action scenes are mesmerising to watch.

For all its apparent faults its a very watchable and enjoyable thriller/action/sci fi romp, snd thats what its all about I guess. Don't expect Hamlet, but do expect to feel that you rrally have to pay attention and watch it.

6.5/10.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
"Nomadland" (2020) with Frances McDormand.

This film is about the semi-homeless temporary workers who drive from one job to another, mostly in the American south west. There is a sub-culture of road nomads who are sadly faced with this option once they lose their jobs or find out they don't have enough money for retirement.

I was so ready to like this film as I like Frances McDormand -but... zzzzzzzz. I couldn't get through it. I kept with it for 45 minutes in the hope something would happen but my hopes were dashed. Mind you, I have watched films where the storyline is questionable (arguably nothing happens) and I've really enjoyed them, but for that to happen, I think you have to really enjoy the character(s) in the film. For me, the character played by Frances McDormand was as dull as dishwater!

I think the film was well produced, well acted and well filmed. But the screen play, story and characters were in serious competition with watching paint dry as far as I'm concerned.

2/10 for me. Not the very worst, but when I can't watch a film all the way through I can't give it more than that.

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
"Alone" (2020) with Jules Wilcox

A solid thriller about a woman driving on the roads of Oregon who ends up being kidnapped by a serial killer. It kept my attention and was well acted with a story that kept rolling. While there were some unbelievable things in it (which I think makes it not be as good as it could have been), hey, it's a film so I think you have to overlook some stuff. Again, well acted and well shot, and it had some tense moments.

A good Friday night watch, 8/10

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
A Call to Spy.

It was described as, when France falls to the nazis two women answer the call to be sent to France as spies.

After a couple of minutes it becomes clear that it's the story of Vera Atkins, Noor Khan, and Virginia Hall. A good film which has a suitably muted style and well worth a watch.

7/10.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yeah getting through some films this weekend as the weather has been rainy. So:

"I care a lot" (2020) with Rosamund Pike

This is about a shady court appointed guardian (Pike) who bleeds her charges financially dry, but then picks on one old woman who might be her match. This to me was a weird film; I think it's easy to categorize as a film of two parts: part i where it was entertaining, somewhat of a new kind of storyline and dark, and part ii. where it got silly and lost its way. For the first half of the film, it kept me entertained and I was eager to give this an 8, even an 8 1/2 out of 10. But then it just got downright silly. And for the second half of the film, I would have given it a 2 out of 10. I really feel this film had terrific potential -a little far fetched, yes, but it could have been quite a novel film -but no, it slid into the realms of "Really? Really? Noooooo!".

So 5/10 for me. An entertaining film that kept my interest but couldn't keep up the story or didn't develop the story in a better way.

gbb

Legendary Member
The Hunted, starring Tommy Lee Jones.
He's usually good, that's a good starter for me, usually makes for a good film. Wrong, 5 minutes in, the pyrotechnics crew have gone berserk in the opening scenes, an aura of visual mayhem is the aim but its just so overdone it's almost laughable if it weren't based on a serious, real subject. It then switches to an equally laughable scene of deer hunters being hunted by person /persons unknown in the North American wilderness...a film for me needs to look real, this was just annoyingly unreal.
I lasted 25 minutes,,,,off.

mustang1

Guru
The Watch.

Aliens attacking earth starring a few of my generally-less-well-liked actors. A comedy which gets a bit silly in the end but anything that makes me chuckle is fine.

Top Bottom