What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Almost Famous. How come I'd never heard of this absolute cracker from 2000. Fantastic story built around a 15 year old who finds himself touring with a rock band, on assignment for Rolling Stone magazine. Superb script, wonderful performances, just a great piece of storytelling. Easily 9/10.

Durango Bay

I'M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS (2020) (Netflix)

This is Charlie Kaufman's latest film, I checked his Wikipedia entry and it turns out I have seen every film that he has written or directed but I didn't like them all. This is about a couple who are driving through the snow to visit his parents on their farm, she is considering splitting up with him and is thinking of telling him at some point on the trip. Things are a little bit strange from the start and very small details just seem a bit odd but not enough to change the narrative but as the film moves on these details slowly escalate. I enjoyed this a lot at the start and even up until the climax but it lost me a bit at the end which kind of ruined the whole experience. This is well worth seeing and nothing if not intriguing but maybe a little too much so.

7.8/10

PaulB

Legendary Member
Parasite. The Academy Award winner for best film 2020. I'd seen it at the pictures but it was my wife's first time watching it last night and she had to be talked into it because subtitles aren't her favourite. She loved it though and it is a deserved winner. A real black comedy, very different to most films we see in the west depicting contrasts in Korean society.

The most deserved 6/10 I am prone to giving.

Parasite. The Academy Award winner for best film 2020. I'd seen it at the pictures but it was my wife's first time watching it last night and she had to be talked into it because subtitles aren't her favourite.
The 1-inch high barrier, as I believe the director called them. (was it the 1st subtitled film to win Best Picture?)

Will watch this at some point, it sounds at least a 7, by all accounts!

AndyRM

XOXO
Sputnik - 7/10

Soviet era set horror, which is sort of a cross between The Thing and Alien, with nods to Kubrick throughout. There are plot holes you could drive a bus through, but it's beautifully shot, the monster is cool and the sound design is excellent. As B movies go, it's up there.

A double header of slow films. "Whitewash" (2013) with Thomas Haden Church in lead role, driving snowploughs can be hazardous, to others and eventually to yourself.
"The Straight Story", the slowest road movie ever made, I have watched it several times over the years and still enjoy it, Harry Dean Stanton appears for the final scenes. The two brothers at the garden machinery workshop, priceless.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I Care A Lot, after 'er indores saw the star on Graham Norton. We quite enjoyed it - a very well performed central villain, some good twists & turns in the plot, clever manipulation of your shifting allegiances. Very surprised to go to imdb and find it awash with scathing reviews, with a pretty poor overall 6.3. I would've been expecting somewhere round the 7 mark. Which is about what I'd give it. As against, say, "easily the stupidest movie i have seen in a few years. 1/10."

I Care A Lot, after 'er indores saw the star on Graham Norton. We quite enjoyed it - a very well performed central villain, some good twists & turns in the plot, clever manipulation of your shifting allegiances. Very surprised to go to imdb and find it awash with scathing reviews, with a pretty poor overall 6.3. I would've been expecting somewhere round the 7 mark. Which is about what I'd give it. As against, say, "easily the stupidest movie i have seen in a few years. 1/10."
i've just listened to Kermode's review of this, somewhere in the Cotswolds! I thought he liked it, then you made me doubt myself ... so google/UTube to the rescue:
he liked it. Will watch in due course

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3c_VVy9SuI

clid61

Veteran
Sputnik - 7/10

Soviet era set horror, which is sort of a cross between The Thing and Alien, with nods to Kubrick throughout. There are plot holes you could drive a bus through, but it's beautifully shot, the monster is cool and the sound design is excellent. As B movies go, it's up there.
Yeah i enjoyed that too and agree with you

Part of 'The Mask Of Zorro' with daughter
That's the 1998 film with Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas & Catherine Zeta-Jones

Partway through, I asked her if she noticed any similarities to other films (or indeed actors)
She recognised Hopkins, but due to him playing Odin, in the (Chris Hemsworth) 'Thor' films

I pressed a bit more, having told her that it's essentially a Robin Hood tale
She did get my Batman anology; rich man, helping the oppressed, which was certainly helped when Don Diego de la Vega (Hopkins) first comes across Alejandro Murietta (Banderas) ,as the next scene shows them both in a cave........

That's far better than the last time we watched it (maybe 3 years ago??), as back then it took some time for her to realise that Puss In Boots (in Shrek) was based on this Zorro............................ and,even longer to recognise the voice was the same :whistle::wacko::rolleyes:

stephec

Legendary Member
Legacy of Lies.

Scott Adkins, if you're not familiar with him he's a sort of British version of Jean Claude Van Damme, with a Jason Statham type of CV as far as films are concerned.

Anyway, he's a former MI6 agent who is drawn back into his old life when an old mission rears it's ugly head.

A standard action film where you know full well what the ending will be, and in the mean time it's bang bang bang, fisticuffs and testosterone.

5/10.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
i've just listened to Kermode's review of this, somewhere in the Cotswolds! I thought he liked it, then you made me doubt myself ... so google/UTube to the rescue:
he liked it. Will watch in due course

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3c_VVy9SuI

Hated it but not because it was a bad film- it just annoyed me from the start, right up until the last 5 minutes!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Kind Hearts and Coronets

Was kind of surprised to see all kinds of warnings being displayed at the start of the film that it "reflected views and opinions of its' time that modern viewers could find offensive".

A lot is always made of Alec Guinness playing 9 parts but I thought the absolute star was Joan Greenwood who stole every scene.

Still a fantastic film, easily 8/10 - possibly a 9.

Top Bottom