What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
"The day the Earth caught fire."
Great b&w British sci fi from the 50's

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Minari, shown online as part of this year’s Glasgow Film Festival with lots of praise.

The fate of a Korean family that moved to America for a better life lies in the ambition of the father to start a farm in Arkansas, growing Korean vegetables.

I was hopeful of an enjoyable bittersweet story but it never really got going. It’s a nice enough film but nothing special. Disappointed: 5/10

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
For the umpteenth time, American Graffiti.
I found it on Netflix and couldn't resist.

I seem to have a thing for films where everything takes place on one night. American Graffiti, Warriors, Party Party.
I could (and do) watch them again and again!

Drago

Legendary Member
Blown Away.

You know the craic, script writer conjures up a catchy title and thenntrots put a lod of implausible bollards by way of a plot.

Tommy Lee Jones with the worst Irish accent since Alec Salmond tried to tell a Murphy and Paddy joke. For reasons that never become entitely clear Jones makes bombs and has taken a dislike to Jeff Bridges and is trying to blow him up.

Its was done much netyer before and has been much better since.

Do not consider watching under any circumstances.

0/10.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
'The Intern'... feel good film with Robert De Niro, predictable and a poor ending- it just fizzled out which was a shame.

So, watched 'The Gentlemen' again-love that film- The Toddlers were brilliant!.... ["4"]

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Victim. A very good and astonishingly liberal 1961 film noir with Dirk Bogarde playing a high-flying 'queer' London barrister who gets tangled in a web of blackmail. Very good on the climate of the day, with several 'regular' people adamant that any relaxation of the law would be the thin end of a wedge, while a police inspector calls the law as it stands 'a blackmailers' charter'. Hard to believe it didn't play a significant part in the 1967 reform. Massive respect to Dirk Bogarde for taking the part - many who were approached to appear in it apparently declined, and given the society it portrays, you can understand why.

simongt

Guru
A very good and astonishingly liberal 1961 film
I remember this film from years ago and a line from Bogard's clerk always struck a chord with me. When Bogard's character's homosexuality had been 'revealed' he asked his clerk what his view on it was and the clerk replied; I may not have the quote exact, but ' I've had no reason to doubt your integrity all these years, I don't see why I should have to now.' Good bit of script.

Meeting Gorbachev.
I always make a bee-line to films by Werner Herzog, but this one is a bit flat by his usual standards, mind you, he is 78 and it's jointly directed. 7/10
Nosferatu The Vampyre on the other hand, watched last week. Masterpiece 10/10.

Spy Who Came in from the Cold

Richard Burton as dishevelled agent. Cyril Cusack ( The Jackal's gunsmith) as Control. More plot twists than a twisty thing doing The Twist.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Notebook. Pretty much flawless romcom - poor boy, rich girl, you've seen it all a hundred times, but it's done so engagingly and with such irrepressible warmth and charm that only the stoniest of heart could fail to enjoy. 8/10.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember this film from years ago and a line from Bogard's clerk always struck a chord with me. When Bogard's character's homosexuality had been 'revealed' he asked his clerk what his view on it was and the clerk replied; I may not have the quote exact, but ' I've had no reason to doubt your integrity all these years, I don't see why I should have to now.' Good bit of script.
It's full of excellent bits like that. At one point the Inspector gently chides his homophobic subordinate for being a puritan. 'Nothing wrong with that', protests his sergeant. 'No indeed,' he agrees, 'Of course that was against the law at one time.'

stephec

Legendary Member
Sputnik.

Soviet cosmonauts return to earth in 1983, and one of them has an alien living inside him.

It's set mainly in a facility used to examine him and the alien, starts off slowly but builds up nicely.

It has a very bleak style to it which makes you think that it could have been filmed at that time as well.

6/10.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Bloody Pit of Horror.

After watching one ropey Italian horror film Prime decided that I might like this as well.

Centuries ago the sadistic Crimson Executioner is put to death and entombed in a castle, now the current owner believes that he is the executioner reincarnated.

Conveniently a book publisher turns up with a photographer and models looking for a location, and you can probably guess the rest.

Grisly deaths, hilariously over the top camp acting from the baddie, and a fight scene so laughable that my grannie could've battered the pair of them.

Apparently the BBFC refused this a certificate in 1967, probably for the S+M overtures that wouldn't bat an eyelid today.

Definitely one for the, so bad it's good category., 5/10.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Art of Self Defence.

A mild mannered guy is mugged and badly beaten, then one day he just happens, after been too scared to leave the house for months, to walk past a karate school.

Now at this point it looks like it might be an adult version of the Karate Kid, but as he discovers his sensei makes Cobra Kai look like a nursery school. Bit by bit he's drawn into the violence as it turns a bit darker, until there's a nasty truth uncovered.

One thing it does share in common with The Karate Kid though is that a complete novice goes from wimp to expert in what seems like a few months.

It was described by Netflix as a dark comedy, but I didn't laugh once, well not for the right reasons anyway.

5/10.

Top Bottom