What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thank you. I wouldn't normally. As I said, not my thing.

I'd channel hopped after something else I'd watched. Logan was over half way through and during the bit I watched, 2 guys had their heads impaled on Wolverine knife finger things. I don't like that kind of stuff so switched off. No problem with people liking that kind I of entertainment but it doesn't work for me . Please don't take it personally, I make no judgement of people who did enjoy it :smile:

I wasn't taking it personally, and apologies for my abrupt response.

It just just me when folk watch a bit of a film and write it off; how is that possible, you've not watched the whole thing.

Superhero films aren't usually my thing either, but Logan is superb.

yello

It just just me when folk watch a bit of a film and write it off; how is that possible, you've not watched the whole thing.

I know what you mean but I also think you get a feel for movie pretty quickly. You may well turn out to be wrong, and you may have benefited from giving it more of a chance, but nonetheless it's what you do - simple things you dislike (or biases even) can sway your entire appreciation. Further, if you know a particular genre or style, I think it makes you less inclined to persevere.

For example, I wouldn't (these days) watch another Tarantino movie. He's done his dash for me. Then sometimes you get the opposite happen. I like the works of the Coen Brothers (as a rule) so am inclined to watch anything of theirs. That came a cropper with 'Big Lebowski' - I thought it OK/enjoyable until around the last 20 minutes when I turned on it completely. And no amount of persuasion will convince me that 'No Country for Old Men' is worthy of its accolades.... but I sat through it.

The amount of day time movie fodder (lockdown boredom alleviation is my excuse) means that one gets into the habit of making snap judgements, and I acknowledge that may not always be fair.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Dances with Wolves

I probably haven’t watched it for 20 years. I was much better than I had remembered and was expecting. Kevin Costner was good but the landscape is the true star.
The extended version nudges 4 hours but does contain an entire section on Costner & Kicking Bird in a sacred forest where he sees first hand the damage done by settlers. The only bit left in the theatrical cut is the scene where he says how many settlers may come ...'like the stars' line. I love the extended cut. Most added bits flesh out the story and account for things not explained in the theatrical version eg. how he cleared up the fort, fished dead animals out of the water supply, the soldiers abandoning it etc.

of course there are degrees here - but if the first 20 minutes are sh1t, it's almost certainly a bad film. I can't of a film-maker who would set out to make a great film that started with a rubbish 20 minutes.

(I thought Logan was maybe 6/10. It started much as it finished.)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I watched two movies... At least i think i did.... im pretty sure i did but i cant remember the other because it was that terrible...

Greyhound -- with Tom Hanks

(possibly -- Started but didnt finish) Project Power

Greyhound is decent. Tom Hanks is always a great actor but the movie felt very short. It almost felt like they were trying to copy the same kind of tension as the movie Dunkirk with the constantly eerie violins but it didnt really work. Not surprisingly a lot of the movie was CGI -- Not great CGI but not terrible either. Movie came to an end just as the real adventure was about to begin. It doesnt really compare to the WWII movies made in the late 40s,50s and 60s either even if you ignore the CGI.

Saving Private Ryan set the bar pretty high although SPR did have an extra $20mil budget.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Zack Snyder's Justice League

-- excellent (but very long) movie if youre a comic book fan.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tears of the Sun.

Not much in the way of a plot, but a patrol of Navy SEALs running for the border with a load of refugees and giving a serious hiding to a guerilla army in some banana republic about sums it up

Not a huge amount of dialogue, but that plays to Bruce Willis' strengths, as he's hardly known as an orator.

Superb weapons drills, and a nice bit of close in blade work with bad guys getting slotted, patrol formations realistically portrayed. Clearly some good quality technical advisors worked on this.

Monica Bellucci sweating a lot with her shirt buttons half undone, for reasons never adequately explained, does the film no harm. To be fair, of all the actors she's the only one hat makes any real effort.

A bit dreary really with a lot against it on paper, but if your like you action tense, dirty and real, unencumbered by needless rubbish like plots or acting then its not a bad watch.

6/10.

stephec

Legendary Member
Big Stan.

A real estate agent convicted of fraud has six months before his three year sentence starts. Hearing what's likely going to happen to him inside he looks for a way to toughen up, and luckily bumps into David Carradine who mentors him, then once inside his new skills make him the daddy of the prison.

A fairly simple comedy that will keep you giggling.

6/10.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Yellow Sea - aka how to make a social melodrama under the guise of an action movie. With over 1 billion of migrants in the world today it is inevitable that some of them become an object of hatred and bile. Joseonjok may be particular because they are despised in both their mother and adopted country. Chinese Koreans are truly people without motherland. In South Korea they are viewed with suspicion as a source of cheap labour, in China as Koreans - marginalized wherever they go. The Yellow Sea seems, at the begining at least, portray them in negative light. Indebted taxi driver hired for a mafia hit goes AWOL and wrecks havoc on the society - but who is guilty here?
Great hand to hand choreography, tense pacing, interesting subject make it all a nearly perfect action movie with brains - if it wasn't for near supernatural elements towards the end and a little tighter edition it would be a classic.
5/5

View: https://youtu.be/QRY2mvwv1UA

Top Bottom