What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Minari, in which a Korean family try to set up as farmers in backwoods Arkansas. A rather strange film, insofar as the vast majority of it, being essentially a domestic drama following the family (of four, later supplemented by the arrival of Gran) is in Korean, with subtitles. A glimpse into another world within a world. Rather odd, rather slow, but quietly rather beautiful. Not a great deal happened, but I know it's going to stay with me.

As will Nomadland, which we watched a few days ago. Frances McDormand - her off of Three Billboards - bought the rights apparently, and then set about making it. I said to 'er on the sofa about half way through 'I don't think most of these people are actors*.' Not that the acting was bad - quite the opposite. It was just so naturalistic that it felt for stretches less like a movie than a fly-on-the-wall documentary. Again, quietly wonderful.

* Check the cast list...

1616941217319.png

...and so on, all the way down.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Highlander.
It’s a bit naff now but as an 80’s action romp it still stands up.
How very dare you! My favourite film ever! Must have watched it several hundred times! ;)
The story could be padded out and turned into a far more significant film.
Maybe... 🤔
I wouldn’t mind a modern day remake.
Never!! (Although I believe it has been attempted several times, but never got further than development.)
I wondered how a potentially good story could be ruined by poor casting. Mr Connery was very good but didn't feature enough.
Maybe to the first, definitely to the second.
Highlander 2, on the other hand is still one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Agreed.

Highlander 3 (The Final Dimension) is much better (but does contradict the epilogue to the first film).

Highlander 4 (Endgame) is OK, featuring both Connor McLeod and his ‘cousin’ from the TV series, Duncan McLeod (Adrian Paul).

Highlander 5 (The Source) was crap, and later explained away as a dream by Duncan McLeod.

Highlander 6 (Reunion) was OK for a TV film featuring my favourite immortal, Methos (from the TV show), and Joe The Watcher.

Then there’s also the animated Highlander: The Search for Vengeance featuring Colin McLeod which I may have seen once.

The first film is still the best with the best baddie, The Kurgan (Clancy Brown).

There can be only one. ⚔

figbat

Slippery scientist
Wonder Woman last night, the one with Gal Gadot. Picked for family watching and didn’t disappoint, although it seems to be trying hard to be like the MCU. We’ve done the MCU to-date and await more; we are not interested in the Justice League though, but this film stands alone enough to follow.

Quite a charming performance from Gal, at least until it all got very supernatural. Chris Pine plays himself as well as always. Kids liked it though, so job done. Not sure why Amazon label it as 16+ when the BBFC call it a 12. There’s a bit of fruity language and some references to sex, but in a way that a naïve child will easily miss.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Papillon

No, not that one, the 2017 remake.

The original is a stone-cold classic and this remake just shows why. Charlie Hunnam plays Steve McQueen and proves that makeup is no substitute for acting ability. Rami Malek plays Dustin Hoffman and does a better job but I was left wondering what the point was.

If you want to watch Papillon, watch the original.

5/10

Genau

Trans-Europ-Express. Typical French New Wave in that it is light on story and heavy on beautiful scenes. So much so you suspect it is laughing at itself a little. There is something in there about smuggling but it is mainly about looking at Marie-France Pisier posing in brightly-lit rooms.

Of course, there probably was some dreadfully deep and meaningful lesson but I just looked at Marie-France Pisier. It's your cinematography, innit?

Jean-Louis Trintignant was also available for your viewing pleasure.

Top Bottom