What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Killer Joe

A dysfunctional trailer trash extended family hire a crooked cop to kill mom and get the insurance money.

Matthew McConaughey is so convincingly sleazy it makes your flesh crawl.

Lots of good lines and memorable scenes but the one that sticks with me is:

Dottie, the young daughter is describing how she remembers her mother trying to smother her with a pillow when she was an infant. "She just kept pressing until I just didn't be.... and then I was"

8/10

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Restless Natives

Not the first time I’ve watched it. However I love watching this era , filmed around my location and takes me back in time . A teen of the 80s ! Oh and Big Country get a bit of air time on it ^_^

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Atomic Blonde.

I've really picked some losers recently, and this is as bad as any. No coherent plot. Dreadfully choreographed actions scenes. Professor Xavier has lost his wheelchair and started smoking.

Aside from the rather nice Charlize Theron snogging another female at one point, there is very little to recommend this tripe.

0.5/10

stephec

Legendary Member
Atomic Blonde.

I've really picked some losers recently, and this is as bad as any. No coherent plot. Dreadfully choreographed actions scenes. Professor Xavier has lost his wheelchair and started smoking.

Aside from the rather nice Charlize Theron snogging another female at one point, there is very little to recommend this tripe.

0.5/10
Yeah but it has got three different endings, like they couldn't decide which one they wanted so just used all of them.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
V for vendetta - great flick, funny in its own way, especially with such gems as curfew is for your own good and trust your government - no one else can protect you from the chaos
5/5
Lavaperros - Columbian dark comedy about a dysfunctional crime family, great soundtrack and a very offbeat humour
4/5

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Stan and Ollie. An undemanding fictional account of Laurel and Hardy's last tour of the UK.
For those of a certain age, for whom their films were a staple of weekend television, it's nostalgia and more generally perhaps a small insight into how much the world of entertainment had changed from the days when they were brought together by Hal Roach.

Joey Shabadoo

Stan and Ollie. An undemanding fictional account of Laurel and Hardy's last tour of the UK.
For those of a certain age, for whom their films were a staple of weekend television, it's nostalgia and more generally perhaps a small insight into how much the world of entertainment had changed from the days when they were brought together by Hal Roach.
Thought that was a really good film.

Joey Shabadoo

Lawrence of Arabia

Astonishing to think this was Peter O'Toole's first film. Not sure the casting would be allowed these days though, with the likes of Alec Guinness "blacking up" to play an Arab Prince.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Restless Natives

Not the first time I’ve watched it. However I love watching this era , filmed around my location and takes me back in time . A teen of the 80s ! Oh and Big Country get a bit of air time on it ^_^
An absolute gem of a movie :okay: and a great soundtrack too... which never got its own proper release :sad:

yello

Watched 20 minutes of some rubbish about a 'mutant superhero' or somesuch. It was called 'Nolan'* here in France but I think it was that Wolverine bloke, maybe a prequel or the like, not sure. Not my kind of thing at all.

*Edit: not Nolan but Logan. I was close.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dances with Wolves

I probably haven’t watched it for 20 years. I was much better than I had remembered and was expecting. Kevin Costner was good but the landscape is the true star.

Joey Shabadoo

The man in the hat.

Well, what can I say about this bizarre little lovely film? It's got him that played Caesar in Rome and wotsisname from Game of Thrones who burnt his daughter and Caesar is the one with the hat, which is a very nice hat but not essential to the story. He's travelling through rural France and meeting people who fix his Fiat 500 if he'll eat an onion with them and there's cyclists, French Mamils who have a food fight in a village square and hardly a word is spoken throughout, unless you count French (and who does?). Some lovely songs intersperse a series of vignettes which is sad but punctuated by humour as the man looks for the things he's lost. But not his hat.

A really nice little film - 7/10

View: https://youtu.be/aqKpAFdpuyI

AndyRM

XOXO
Watched 20 minutes of some rubbish about a 'mutant superhero' or somesuch. It was called 'Nolan'* here in France but I think it was that Wolverine bloke, maybe a prequel or the like, not sure. Not my kind of thing at all.

*Edit: not Nolan but Logan. I was close.

Good of you to give it a chance...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A Soldier's Story, which somehow managed to pick up two Oscar nominations despite being nothing but a thin, watery, formulaic rerun of the superb In The Heat of The Night, made by the same director almost 20 years earlier. Workmanlike at best, predictable from start to finish, and really rather a waste of time. A disappointing 6/10, far as I'm concerned.

yello

Good of you to give it a chance...

Thank you. I wouldn't normally. As I said, not my thing.

I'd channel hopped after something else I'd watched. Logan was over half way through and during the bit I watched, 2 guys had their heads impaled on Wolverine knife finger things. I don't like that kind of stuff so switched off. No problem with people liking that kind I of entertainment but it doesn't work for me . Please don't take it personally, I make no judgement of people who did enjoy it :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom