What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mines_a_pint

Persian Lessons a subtitled film set in WW2 about a Jew claiming to be Persian to avoid execution. He then ends up teaching a German officer Persian that he knows nothing of so makes up his own version to stay alive. well worth a watc.

Persian Lessons a subtitled film set in WW2 about a Jew claiming to be Persian to avoid execution. He then ends up teaching a German officer Persian that he knows nothing of so makes up his own version to stay alive. well worth a watc.
I am always a bit dubious of made up ( inspired by...) holocaust tales. The reality is a bit too grim to portray so directors have to add some kind of macguffin to make it watchable.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I remember my schoolmates going to see it at the pictures back in the day but I'd not gone for some reason so I saw I the first time only a few years back, and it is really good. I feared it might be jingoistic cliche but it was an anti-war film in its way and treated the Zulu side with respect. The guy playing the Zulu king was the grandson of the King portrayed in the film.
I've never watched Zulu. I assumed it was Civilised Britain conquering the Unwashed, Uncivilised Masses For Their Own Good, Dontcha Know, but it may be worth watching. It serves me right for dismissing it out of hand based on the few clips I've seen.

The defeat earlier in the day/previous day of a significant British force by Zulus was so shocking to the political and military establishment that they bigged up the impressive defense of Rourkes Drift to become the Main Story.
The movie "Zulu" was a UK production but "Zulu Dawn" about the earlier embarassment was a US production and pretty scathing about British arrogance and imcompetance. As usual the top brass seek to cover their behinds and blame the ranks.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The defeat earlier in the day/previous day of a significant British force by Zulus was so shocking to the political and military establishment that they bigged up the impressive defense of Rourkes Drift to become the Main Story.
The movie "Zulu" was a UK production but "Zulu Dawn" about the earlier embarassment was a US production and pretty scathing about British arrogance and imcompetance. As usual the top brass seek to cover their behinds and blame the ranks.

I've not seen the prequel "Dawn" covering Isandlwana but someone described the film as "just like 'Zulu' only with a different ending"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Netflix, Army of the Dead - 2021. Main actor was the big red guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, Dave Bautister and directed by Zack Snyder

Very watchable fun, if gory, action movie, good tunes, slowmo action and stuff. Plot is a bit thin, but fine for a friday evening. Slight twist with 'some' of the Zombies actually being smart and fast.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Paul. Very funny.

Adam4868

Guru
Netflix, Army of the Dead - 2021. Main actor was the big red guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, Dave Bautister and directed by Zack Snyder

Very watchable fun, if gory, action movie, good tunes, slowmo action and stuff. Plot is a bit thin, but fine for a friday evening. Slight twist with 'some' of the Zombies actually being smart and fast.
I'm not into Zombie films but there filming a new Netflix movie/show in Blackpool this week.Noticed some props on the promenade this week.Its a Zack Snyder not that I know him ^_^

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
The best of enemies on Netflix.
'Race and Redemption in the New South'
A good watch and based on true events, little snippets of the real people speaking at the end credits.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Long Shot - that genuine rarity: a romcom that's actually funny. At least I thought so. A journalist is hired by a glamorous politician who was once his babysitter, working as Secretary of State to a tv-President ("..and you've been an excellent secretary!"....."Of State..."...."Whatever"). One thing leads to another, and some of the anothers (and one-liners) had me laughing out loud, which very rarely happens these days. Left-leaning/green sympathies might rub some up the wrong way (naming no names) but for anyone else, it's on iPlayer for the moment, with an easy & affable 8+/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've just finished watching Army of the Dead too - 8/10

I really like Zak Snyder films and this is up there with his best. I thought the zombie hierarchy idea was clever, and though it's about as subtle as a brick in the face it's well acted and you're hoping that it ends well for (mostly) everyone. I mean I knew it wasn't going to, but I had a lot of fun along the way. Also enjoyed the acoustic covers and didn't find the CGI off-putting, but then I know what I'm getting into from a Zak Snyder film.

There's a prequel on the way, centering around the safe-cracker Dieter, and also an animated series telling more of Scott's back story and the origins of the zombies.

Top Bottom