What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The film I'm going to watch tonight is, after much consideration... Waiting for Guffman.

At the age of 86, comic actor Fred Willard passed away yesterday so I've been toying with watching one of the films he's featured in... and there's quite a few to choose from.

Here's Fred in This is Spinal Tap

[edit] having watched Guffman countless times, i hadn't realised until last night that the film's music is essentially composed by Spinal Tap :okay:

Last edited:
When the Lumière Bros. had their first outing, I doubt they could ever have foreseen it coming to such glorious fruition as Ruben Brandt Collector. Or Freud, or Warhol, or Picasso, or Huelsenbeck, or Hitchcock, or even Duchamps. Thanks for the groundwork, guys. Your work here is done.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dOZpivfNxw

And a soundtrack to better Tarantino.

ETA:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Paint your wagon. Terrible movie, quite a lot of fun. Lee Marvin's drunk, Clint's half asleep, and there's one great song and about two dozen stinkers - enjoyable enough if you suspend all critical faculties and tap into an 'aren't barroom brawls funny' mindset.

Paint your wagon. Terrible movie, quite a lot of fun. Lee Marvin's drunk, Clint's half asleep, and there's one great song and about two dozen stinkers - enjoyable enough if you suspend all critical faculties and tap into an 'aren't barroom brawls funny' mindset.
This is the only musical I’ve ever enjoyed.

I’m going to have “I talk to the trees, but they don’t listen to me” stuck in my head all day now.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Uncut Gems. Interesting one this. I rated it, she hated it - which mirrors the reviews on imdb, mostly either high scores or 1/10 how can you even call this a film-stylie. A day in the life type affair, as a New York wheeler dealer jewel-merchant with an out of control gambling addiction spirals out of control. Pretty much all the dialogue is yelled, there's plenty of violence, and it never eases for a second - the stress just cranks up, and up, and up...

Not a likeable film, as such, but a tour de force of tension and high energy mania. I'd go with 8/10, tho' I'm not sure I'd recommend it as such.

Adam4868

Guru
Uncut Gems. Interesting one this. I rated it, she hated it - which mirrors the reviews on imdb, mostly either high scores or 1/10 how can you even call this a film-stylie. A day in the life type affair, as a New York wheeler dealer jewel-merchant with an out of control gambling addiction spirals out of control. Pretty much all the dialogue is yelled, there's plenty of violence, and it never eases for a second - the stress just cranks up, and up, and up...

Not a likeable film, as such, but a tour de force of tension and high energy mania. I'd go with 8/10, tho' I'm not sure I'd recommend it as such.
I watched that with my kids when it came out,once I got over Adam Sandler being serious I sort of got into it.Wasnt bad in the end.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
If anybody rated Uncut Gems I do recommend the directors' previous movie
Good times - just like Gems it a a homage to NYC and 70's cinema. Not quite likeable characters, setting, music and plot scream Friedkin and early Scorsese and Mann while he still was making great movies

View: https://youtu.be/AVyGCxHZ_Ko

mustang1

Guru
The last few movies:
Something about Jerusalem.
The two faces of January.
Freedom from being free.

The Jerusalem docu was good but I wish I paid more attention rather than using it as background sound.

Ditto the January movie and it's not entirely worth watching.

And the freedom movie is great if you're of a certain political pursuation but it had too many holes in it. For example they talked about how a particular farm does not rely on any petroleum products and the very next scene is a tractor ploughing the fields! Wth!

Smudge

Veteran
The other night i watched... It Chapter One. I didn't rate it at all, it strayed too far from the book and i found myself not caring about any of the characters. I wont bother watching Chapter Two. The made for TV film miniseries was much better and Tim Curry made a much better Pennywise as well.
Last night i watched Sicario 2, not quite as good as the first movie, but i still enjoyed it.

mustang1

Guru
Outbreak.

Background movie, no need to concentrate too hard on the story line.
Stars Dustin Hoffman, Renne Russo, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, Cuba Gooding Jr.

Top Bottom