What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Scarface. The Bolivian baddies were really excellent.

Dr Zhivago
Ive seen it in bits before but this was the first time I really watched it. Masterpiece with the luminous Julie Christie. It deserves big screen cinema .

Drago

Legendary Member
Watched Dr. Zhivago last night, first time I've ever seen it all the way through. Bought the novel of it today to give me more background on those troubled times.
One of my favourite fillums. Julie Christie is implausibly lovely to look at, and that suits the tone of her role perfectly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of recommendations from the last week or so.

"The Dictator" - a typical questionable taste / downright offensive Sacha Baron Cohen film, where he plays the eponymous dictator or a fictional middle east state. Not his best, but if you can look away from time to time it is very funny in parts and even incisively and darkly satirical - his speech to the UN extolling the virtues of dictatorship whilst clearly describing modern USA was far from subtle but close to genius. A minor delight was spotting Seville City hall (which we've visited) standing in the dictator's palace with just the addition of a a couple of CGI onion domes. A guarded recommendation if you can overlook, or even enjoy, the unarguably poor taste of some of the gags, but this is what you'd expect from SBC after all..

And an obscure minor gem - a Turkish comedy sci-fi G.O.R.A. A dodgy rug shop proprietor/ tour guide / UFO enthusiast is kidnapped by evil space aliens. Affectionately parodies all the popular sci fi films and is fun and silly. A bit slow in the middle and could have been better edited, but I thoroughly enjoyed this very entertaining bit of low budget nonsense. IMDB rating is over 8, which is getting a bit carried away, but it was great fun for all that

Eziemnaik

Über Member
13 hours: How America brought democracy to Libya - Michael Bay will never make as great movie as The Rock - 13 hours lacks in exploding street lamps, carousel camera around main character and explosions (and Nicholas Cage). Nevertheless if you can stomach 'merican propaganda it is a watchable, dumb popcorn movie 3/5

AndyRM

XOXO
What's more unfortunate sequels to Transformers happened...

I've only seen the first one, which is dreadful. All I remember from it, rightly or wrongly, is the entirely gratuitous shot of Megan Fox bending over a car. And also not having a clue what was going on in the fights, which is surely the whole point.

Top Bottom