What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don’t think you or I are the target audience.
It’s aimed at teenage girls.
You have a point, but I quite often watch films for which I wouldn't be the target audience but which I think I might nevertheless enjoy, largely relying on a vague notion that anything above 7 is worth considering, and north of 7.5 probably worth watching. To find a real stinker with such a high score, regardless of genre, is rare. One fears for teenage girls if they clamour for such tripe. :rolleyes:

Skyscraper
Ultimate disaster movie mashup. Towering Inferno/ Die Hard / Mission Impossible

The Rock is Vietnam veteran former Green Seal and maverick NYPD detective who lost his leg in a game of Russian Roulette.

Fun for all the family.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Collateral. Another IMDB 7.5 stinker. And this time I definitely am in the target audience. A farcically implausible plot from start to finish, with a lame script and one dimensional acting. Barely workmanlike, let alone good. How it got 7.5 and many glowing reviews is a mystery to me. I was expecting 6.4, and personally I'd give it 6 at best.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Ghost (1990)

Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore doing pottery. Whoopi Goldberg funny as always. My favourite parts of the film are the scenes with the ghost on the subway. Soundtrack OK because of The Righteous Brothers. Didn't fall asleep this time so we'll count this as a win. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Ghost (1990)

Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore doing pottery. Whoopi Goldberg funny as always. My favourite parts of the film are the scenes with the ghost on the subway. Soundtrack OK because of The Righteous Brothers. Didn't fall asleep this time so we'll count this as a win. ;)
I got thrown out the cinema while watching that. The bit where Swayze is killed and suddenly realises hes a ghost I started guffawing and couldnt stop. Staff asked me to stop and I couldn't, so was asked to leave.

The Lost Command

Efficient war movie. French Paratroopers defeated in Vietnam, imprisoned in POW camp. The French establishment embarassed by their loss but need a garbage man to clean the mess in Algeria. They send the tough, uncultured but smart paratroop colonel with his exPOW officers to turn reject soldiers into a fighting unit. The new regiment fight a dirty colonial war in the desert, then an even dirtier one on the streets of Algiers, using interrogation methods the learnt as POWs.

This regiment was later part of the Algerian putch after peace negotiations and associated with the OAS. See Day of the Jackal and also the classic Battle of Algiers.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
You Were Never Really Here - lumbering, ursine Joaquim Phoenix puts a hammer to a good use when, well, hammering nasty people. Great insight into a male psyche. 5/5

Texan Killing Fields - boring, despite having Graham and Chastain, who make almost everything they are in better. Not in this case - 1/5

Rear Window - remade countless times, original is still heads and shoulders above all the other movies, 5/5

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Am I the only person in this universe who enjoyed the voiceover version more???
nope, but we're in a minority
I'm split , I find the voice over adds a great vibe but the director's cut is a tighter edit .
very true... I like them both.

I also believe that Deckard is not a replicant. Everyone argues against this, but it's deliberately ambiguous so there's no right/wrong answer. But the film makes more sense when the protagonist is an average everyday human.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Well, in the director's cut it is definitely not ambiguous.
Still, whichever version, it is a classic, which builds up on K.Dick novela. I have also enjoyed a trilogy of book sequels, which have that classic paranoia of Dick's work.

Top Bottom