What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
talking of highpoints in horror...

Beware the Moon: Remembering an American Werewolf in London

...the other night. A feature length documentary in which our host takes us to some of the locations, and cast and crew look back.
I watched that again a few weeks ago, the film not the documentary that is, I'll have to try and seek it out.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I watched that again a few weeks ago, the film not the documentary that is, I'll have to try and seek it out.
it's included as an extra on the blu-ray.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Watched Love and Monsters on Netflix. Not great but enjoyable family viewing. Feels like the pilot for a series.

Also Thunder Force - Melissa Mccarthy and Octavia Spencer in a mildly amusing super hero caper. Good fun, but as someone said earlier, Netflix are experts in taking a huge budget and a good cast and turning out a run of the mill movie.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of reviews for the last week or two's film watching

"Shadow" a Chinese martial arts type film involving two rival kingdoms in an uneasy peace, a wounded general and his "double" acting in his place, a weak and capricious king and various plots and double crosses. Really good, and a little darker and (marginally) more realistic than out and out fantasy films like Crouching Tiger
I give it 8/10

"Mortal Engines" a steam-punk styled post-apocalypse sci fi fantasy based on the notion that cities, specifically London are now mobile and roam the ruined lands hunting down lesser towns and cities to scavenge their resources. It's not a masterpiece but I really enjoyed it. It looked fantastic, the idea was great, the plot is plausible (given the underlying premise) and romps along nicely and all told via the young apprentice boy from London. It bombed at the box office sadly, so there won't be any more, but I enjoyed it and just bought the book on which it's based. The book, written for children, is a notch or two below, say, Dark Materials but still well crafted and enjoyable. The opening couple of chapters so far are identical to the film, and do a great job of world-building, introducing the protagonist, and bringing the tale to life

Maybe 7/10 for the look of it and entertainment value

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I thought Mortal Engines was underrated too. It seems like the trend for dystopian fantasies has passed now but I wouldn't have minded sering a sequal.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
"Nomadland" (2020) with Frances McDormand.

This film is about the semi-homeless temporary workers who drive from one job to another, mostly in the American south west. There is a sub-culture of road nomads who are sadly faced with this option once they lose their jobs or find out they don't have enough money for retirement.

I was so ready to like this film as I like Frances McDormand -but... zzzzzzzz. I couldn't get through it. I kept with it for 45 minutes in the hope something would happen but my hopes were dashed. Mind you, I have watched films where the storyline is questionable (arguably nothing happens) and I've really enjoyed them, but for that to happen, I think you have to really enjoy the character(s) in the film. For me, the character played by Frances McDormand was as dull as dishwater!

I think the film was well produced, well acted and well filmed. But the screen play, story and characters were in serious competition with watching paint dry as far as I'm concerned.

2/10 for me. Not the very worst, but when I can't watch a film all the way through I can't give it more than that.

I just watched it.
Due to the publicity it’s received I knew it was a slow watch with little plot or narrative so was fully prepared. I enjoyed it as an immersive experience.
It could be a documentary rather than a film.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Outlaw Josey Wales - the best western ever? I reckon so:laugh: gatling gun scene was quality, same as the ferry. I watch it every couple of years and it only gets better. 5/5

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Zulus.Thousands of 'em.
Michael Caine's first staring role as posh knob.

I remember my schoolmates going to see it at the pictures back in the day but I'd not gone for some reason so I saw I the first time only a few years back, and it is really good. I feared it might be jingoistic cliche but it was an anti-war film in its way and treated the Zulu side with respect. The guy playing the Zulu king was the grandson of the King portrayed in the film.

Top Bottom