What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Beaster Bunny.

Yes you read that right the first time, now showing on Prime.

A giant bunny rabbit that reminds me of Hartley Hare from Pipkins goes on the rampage, if you're a fan of watching women having their skimpy tops pulled off by a fake looking rabbit then you'll like this one.

It looks like it was made by a bunch of students for their college course, and the special effects for the rabbit are on a par with the old Godzilla films. 😂

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The Gentlemen

This one has the most excellent Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam in, along with a very unusual role for Hugh Grant. Typical Guy Ritchie brashness.

8/10

AndyRM

XOXO
Venom (the 2018 one) - 5/10

I didn't mind it all that much to be honest. Not as bad as it's made out to be, it's not great and some of it is weirdly paced but it would say there are worse superhero films such as...

Spawn - 2-10

For a film with John Leguizamo and Martin Sheen it I cannot believe how bad it is. The only reason it's getting two points is that the soundtrack is great, but that's it.

Venom (the 2018 one) - 5/10

I didn't mind it all that much to be honest. Not as bad as it's made out to be, it's not great and some of it is weirdly paced but it would say there are worse superhero films
I caught a bit of this by accident t'other night. Seemed pretty classy compared to it's stable sisters!
It took me a loooong time to recognise Tom Hardy, whom I love. I've only ever heard his BRITISH accents, I was totally taken in 🤦‍♀️

AndyRM

XOXO
I caught a bit of this by accident t'other night. Seemed pretty classy compared to it's stable sisters!
It took me a loooong time to recognise Tom Hardy, whom I love. I've only ever heard his BRITISH accents, I was totally taken in 🤦‍♀️

Classy is not the adjective I would use, but it's nowhere near Spawn bad levels.

Or anything Uwe Boll has done (other than Rampage).

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Fear Pharm (1 & 2) - 7/10

Sure, they're b-movies, but I love b-movies and thoroughly enjoyed these. There isn't anything particularly original about them - any horror fan can see where the inspiration comes for all the characters, and the setting. They're camp, gory, ridiculous and tick all the genre boxes.

That said they're better made than a lot (and I've seen a lot) of these kind of films.

Recommended if you're into it, possibly a gateway into the genre if you're not sure, and if you know you don't like it then avoid (unless you're an idiot like me who puts himself through stuff so I can know my enemy).

Adam4868

Guru
The French Dispatch....went to the cinema tonight to see Wes Andersons new masterpiece.Be prepared to think WTF ! Loved it...he doesn't dissapoint 😁

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Suicide Squad... :thumbsdown: ...now i know why i'd never bothered watching it previously. Does it get better towards the end?

and the night before that... the new Dune (pt1). Better than the Lynch one, but is one of those films i could easily fall asleep to.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Videodrome. Weird. Also curiously almost quaint - pre-internet, and tv was still going to Take Over The World...
Deranged, but definitely worth watching - 7/10 from me, Brian.

I think it's an excellent film which challenges as well as being somewhat disturbing. That and "Scanners" are his two best I think

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Dune

Slightly mixed feelings but broadly positive. I'll likely be returning for part two at any rate. I don't think it's the masterpiece some have mentioned but isn't bad.

It looked great, was quite well acted, but somehow was a bit plodding. Slow is fine, but plodding isn't.

Slightly too much exposition in the early part of the film, albeit not as bad as the Lynch one in this regard, and by no means terrible, but it kind of loses your attention a bit. In mitigation mostly they tried to disguise it as Paul Atredies (the protagonist) reading up on their new planet and similar tricks.

They lost my attention a bit in the big battle. In fairness it wasn't too over the top, which gets really really boring, but the explosions and lasers undermined the point of the sword fights and elite soldiers. Thankfully the battle was an incident rather than a climax, so it didn't ruin the film, but they should have turned it down a few notches as there was too much destruction.

Admittedly its about 40 years since I read it but it seems true to the book, and as I say, I thought the acting was good, especially the lead and his mother, and it did look good, but plodded, without quite the Kurosawa or Lawrence of Arabia flair to keep you enthralled

Score: dunno, 7/10 maybe

As an aside I quite like the perhaps deservedly panned David Lynch one, which also looked great and was somehow more fun, albeit badly marred by voicovers and some shonky acting, daft additions not in the book, which is complex enough to start with.

Top Bottom