What gear ratios are you running?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BeardyAndyM

I'm currently running 42/18 on my cyclocross bike and it can become a bit of a wrestling match on the longer gravel climbs!
Was thinking i could go 36 at the front as i'd rather spin out than blow up, thoughts are appreciated.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If this is SS, downhills aren't an issue so just use whatever will get you uphill without wasting potential speed on the flat. 42 x 18 would be a good SS road gear (60") but something lower for off-road, yes. You won't be able to go much more than 20mph on the flat even on 42 x 18 - that's 110rpm and most people don't get full power down above 120-130 rpm. Trackies can, but they train for it all the time.

42x15 fixed,anything lower and I have to feather the brakes on the descents as my knees are only good for 160 rpm for very short periods ^_^

Paul

ProAktive52

Building my first fixed / free bike; Lombardi frame with Stronglight 2000 44t front and 17 fix 18 single on rear
Still searching for bits so no pics at this time but racer rosa site has similar frames (got mine for a steal in steel off the Bay)
Thoughts of headset type required if poss, thank you

D

Deleted member 1258

On my fixed I've been running 44 X 18 for the last few years, this winter I'm running 46 X 18.

Top Bottom