What gear ratios are you running?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was running 48/15 when I first bought mine, but that was too tough for my legs, and this is Devon!! So changed to 48/20, and that is perfect for me.

I love riding SS, nothing like it, and gears are for wimps haha:laugh::laugh:

12boy

Guru
The beauty of quick links and multiple wheels is the ease in which you can have different setups for different conditions. Fairly flat and winds less than say 20 mph, 48 16 with slicks is nice. A little climbing or with studded snows, 48 18 is better.

Zipp2001

Veteran
How fast do you ride, or do you have a very low cadence? 52 x 15 is massive; bigger than most trackies would use.

I will keep most rides with the single speed between 20 - 50 miles and it depends on if I want to rip it or not. I'll go as slow as 15mph on a ride or in the low to mid 20's for a ride, it's dependent on my mood. I've always been known as a masher, but over the years I've up my cadence a bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzgMMA-uOlU

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
i run 42 x 18 for singlespeed. There is inevitably some wasted power on downhills or with a stiff tailwind, but it's a good knocking-around gear. About 18-19mph at 100rpm. I run a higher gear for fixed because I have to be able to get down hills.

fossala

Guru
On Tuesday when my lockring turns up I'd have finished my Tricross fixed commuter build. 38mm tyres (Panaracer gravel king) running 42x16. Should give me around 70" compared to the 72" on my Bob Jackson. I'll see how it goes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
When you've made your own supersize chain whip, lockrings are a bit academic. I can put a sprocket on with something like 300Nm of torque. I can only apply about 60Nm via the pedals and gearing, and that's in a forwards direction; I doubt I can apply much more than half that in resisting the pedals. Disclaimer: I don't do skip-stops, which may cause very high shock torque loads.

JAD

Veteran
I run 46/22 so manage most hills round here but spin out at about 20mph.

My mate runs 50/17 on one and 53/18 on another. AND gets up Boltby Bank on it!

I’ve gone to 11-30 cassette now, it’s just a little easier on Alpine climbs, without being so soft it’s not a challenge anymore.

Top Bottom