What gear ratios are you running?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Copy from the fixedwheel website

The first and most obvious record to mention is the medium gear 25 mile time trial record. For many years this was held by Tony Doyle with a time of 56-30, but on sunday the 4th of april 1999 Ray Hughes destroyed the record with a time of 55-03 in the Mid Oxon event on the H25/13B, what else can I say.

These will be on a 72" fixed gear

About 127rpm :eek:

40 years ago I managed a short 58 on 81" fixed (about 105rpm). Quick calculation of my pursuiting times (1978-1981) I estimate I was doing 110-120rpm.

Last edited:

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
How you guys can spin at 80+rpm indefinitely amazes me! Sure I can spin at 80 for a few minutes but 25+ miles makes my knees ache just thinking about it.

CXRAndy

Guru
How you guys can spin at 80+rpm indefinitely amazes me! Sure I can spin at 80 for a few minutes but 25+ miles makes my knees ache just thinking about it.

Using a higher cadence has a few benefits, it gives your cardio system a harder work out than low cadence. Higher cadence is a lot less fatigue on leg muscles for longer rides. You train you muscles and nervous system to be faster reacting.

I noticed your profile says you're 51- hardly old and still plenty of time(if you want) to train to spin-unless you have physical issues?

I tend to train indoors and whilst doing workouts aim for 95-105rpm for upto 3 hours.
Outdoors I naturally have lower cadence 85-95rpm and will use this range to spin up mountain climbs which are 1-4 hours cycling time. I could go a bit faster by lowering cadence and using more grunt, but I will pay for it on later days. Im 54, started cycling more regularly in my late 40's

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Using a higher cadence has a few benefits, it gives your cardio system a harder work out than low cadence. Higher cadence is a lot less fatigue on leg muscles for longer rides. You train you muscles and nervous system to be faster reacting.

I noticed your profile says you're 51- hardly old and still plenty of time(if you want) to train to spin-unless you have physical issues?

I tend to train indoors and whilst doing workouts aim for 95-105rpm for upto 3 hours.
Outdoors I naturally have lower cadence 85-95rpm and will use this range to spin up mountain climbs which are 1-4 hours cycling time. I could go a bit faster by lowering cadence and using more grunt, but I will pay for it on later days. Im 54, started cycling more regularly in my late 40's
Just to add to what Andy said @Yellow-Road - I'm 49 and just completed my first ever 100 miles. And this was on a SS :okay: I do most of my riding on Zwift and only venture out into the real world a couple of times a year at the moment. I've been online now for just over 3 years where I started from a very (and I mean very) low fitness level.

Even at our time in life, we can improve fitness and improve how our bodies work :okay:

Sharky

Guru
You youngsters at 49,51, 54 - you've got 20 to 15 yrs to catch me up!

I ride a few evening 10's on my fixed 50x14 and most seasons achieve my age standard, which by TT standards is not particularly fast.
So I hope to do around 28 mins, which is around 21 mph.

I don't have a cadence monitor on the bike, but using the Bike Calc website, my cadence is ..
- over the "bridge" which is a short but very hard stretch, my speed can drop to 12mph, which is 43 rpm
- On the fast stretch back, when it is a tail wind, can just max out about 30mph, which is 107 rpm
- and my average for the 10 miles is 21 mph, which is 75 rpm

Keep cycling

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
You youngsters at 49,51, 54 - you've got 20 to 15 yrs to catch me up!

I ride a few evening 10's on my fixed 50x14 and most seasons achieve my age standard, which by TT standards is not particularly fast.
So I hope to do around 28 mins, which is around 21 mph.

I don't have a cadence monitor on the bike, but using the Bike Calc website, my cadence is ..
- over the "bridge" which is a short but very hard stretch, my speed can drop to 12mph, which is 43 rpm
- On the fast stretch back, when it is a tail wind, can just max out about 30mph, which is 107 rpm
- and my average for the 10 miles is 21 mph, which is 75 rpm

Keep cycling
When I get to your age we'll all be riding hover bikes :rofl:

Top Bottom