What gear ratios are you running?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
48x16 fixed on my lovely Boardman. I can happiliy do a 200k Audax with that setup
I have that 48/16 and it caused 2 chains to grow a serious (3 cm up and down difference) tension variation, in two halves of the links. One explanation I found is that an integer ratio causes same chain links engaging at peak force (left and right pedal) moments.
Anything similar experienced?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My fixed has only been on the turbo at the moment till I'm ok to start road riding again (Later this week, I hope) and I've got 42/18 at the moment. The 18 was the only sprocket my LBS had in stock when I bought it and as I haven't ridden fixed for almost half a century I was happy to start low geared. get somewhere round 65" with that setup.

From memory I used to ride a gear of somewhere between 94 and 100 in time trials depending on the course, and 76 for club runs. All that was in flatish Essex though, Pembrokeshire will be a different matter.

Sharky

Guru
My fixed has only been on the turbo at the moment till I'm ok to start road riding again (Later this week, I hope) and I've got 42/18 at the moment. The 18 was the only sprocket my LBS had in stock when I bought it and as I haven't ridden fixed for almost half a century I was happy to start low geared. get somewhere round 65" with that setup.

From memory I used to ride a gear of somewhere between 94 and 100 in time trials depending on the course, and 76 for club runs. All that was in flatish Essex though, Pembrokeshire will be a different matter.
From my dad's records, he used to ride mostly 81" or 86" gears, as was the fashion in those days, but I do remember him saying once that he wished he had gone a bit higher at times. He did a "6" before ww2, when getting under the hour was almost unheard of.

I've found the most comfortable gear for me is about 95", although I will start a season with a much lower gear. Only do short distance (10's) nowadays, but have ridden 50's on those flatlands of Essex on 95" fixed.

fossala

Guru
I'm still running 45x16 (73") on my Bob Jackson.

Just looked at yesterdays ride. My max was 169rpm and I'm fine pushing just over 150rpm without any worry. My average was 15.4mph and 72rpm over 118 miles* so I think my gearing is about right.

*Was supposed to be 190miles (300k) but had a mechanical with my pedals.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The one I've just built for a friend is 49 x 18 (the classical 72" on 700c race tyres). I'm happier on 47 x 16 but he's more of a masher. 48 x 18 is a common choice but gives you three concentrated points of wear on the sprocket and tyre. 47 x 18 and 49 x 18 are perfect, with even wear on every sprocket tooth and uniform tyre wear.

https://www.bikecalc.com/skid_patch_calculator

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive just ordered a 16t freewheel to replace my 17t . im using a 42t chainring. It should lift my gear inch from 67 to 71 with 35mm tyres. Im happy with the 17t just interested to see if its too tall a gear to maintain cadence and build a bit more leg strength

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
Would moving from 48:16 to 52:12 be too high? Where I live its as flat as a board and I hate 60+ rpms. The few "hills" here are <5 degree roads w/ the occasional over pass.

Being a recent road convert its looks to me like most SS roadies prefer 100+rpms which is too high for me. I don't mind pumping to beat a hill but I do mind spinning 75+ rpms when all I need to do is increase my ratio. It seems from photos most road cyclists (not sprinters or racers, etc.) back in the wonderful heyday of cycling (1890's) most cyclists used a high ratio for the same purpose I am....casual road cycling. Not 100+ rpm 30mph balls to the wall pumping. I'm totally fast-twitch so I'm done after 30secs of all out pedaling.

Last edited:

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
What kinda rpms are you guys w/ 48:16 running? I just don't see how anyone can do 100+ for more than a few secs. Makes my quads burn just thinking about it.

Sharky

Guru
Experiment. One tooth at the rear can make a significant difference. Presume you are on a fixed gear bike? Sprockets are cheap, so get a few variations and try.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
What kinda rpms are you guys w/ 48:16 running? I just don't see how anyone can do 100+ for more than a few secs. Makes my quads burn just thinking about it.
Did a 100 miler recently on 42/16 (70 gear inches). Probably spinning at about 80-85 on flats, 65 on the hills. Could have gone a little bigger on the gear but not by much. Too high and your knees will not thank you. 52/12 seems a little high unless you're super strong or only riding short distances on the flat.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Would moving from 48:16 to 52:12 be too high? Where I live its as flat as a board and I hate 60+ rpms. The few "hills" here are <5 degree roads w/ the occasional over pass.

Being a recent road convert its looks to me like most SS roadies prefer 100+rpms which is too high for me. I don't mind pumping to beat a hill but I do mind spinning 75+ rpms when all I need to do is increase my ratio. It seems from photos most road cyclists (not sprinters or racers, etc.) back in the wonderful heyday of cycling (1890's) most cyclists used a high ratio for the same purpose I am....casual road cycling. Not 100+ rpm 30mph balls to the wall pumping. I'm totally fast-twitch so I'm done after 30secs of all out pedaling.
Just checked ...

48/16 = 79 inches
52/12 = 114 inches

That's a big jump

Top Bottom